What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How Thick Is It??

todehnal

Well Known Member
I would like to know the thickness of the wing skins, as well as the thickness of the wing ribs. My guess is that the wing skins are made of .016" and the ribs may be .032". That would give you a pull rivet grip of .048" in some areas.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could measure and post it.

Thanks so much

Tom

skins

The wing skins are .020. The wings are already closed but I can measure a rib at the wing root tomorrow when I am at the hangar working on the flaperons.

I would like to know the thickness of the wing skins, as well as the thickness of the wing ribs. My guess is that the wing skins are made of .016" and the ribs may be .032". That would give you a pull rivet grip of .048" in some areas.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could measure and post it.

Thanks so much

Tom
Your preview plans has a parts list that includes the information you're looking for. Hope this helps.

No Joy

Thanks for the reply Steve, but there are no preview plans for the RV-12!
I have the wing plans, but they do not identify the thickness of the wing skins, or the Rib material.

Tom

Thanks for the reply Steve, but there are no preview plans for the RV-12!
I have the wing plans, but they do not identify the thickness of the wing skins, or the Rib material.

Tom
Oops, sorry Tom. I didn't notice that it was for the -12. Wonder why Van's doesn't have preview plans on the -12? Anyone know?

Rib thickness

I got out the micrometer today and measured a rib at the wing root. It is curved at that point so may not be totally accurate. It measures .022, so I guess it is .020 also. That is as accurate as I can get it.

Hope that helps.

Rich

Much Appreciated

Thanks Rich. Wow! I'm a little surprised that the ribs are only .020". That makes the grip only .040" in lots of places. It must work though, or Van wouldn't have designed it that way.

Tom

Oops, sorry Tom. I didn't notice that it was for the -12. Wonder why Van's doesn't have preview plans on the -12? Anyone know?

There are also no preview plans for the RV-10. In addition, the materials are not (ususlly) listed in the (RV-10) plans but on the packing list that come with each kit. I am assuming Tom is asking because he does not have any plans as yet and is just planning.

Rivet Alternatives

There are also no preview plans for the RV-10. In addition, the materials are not (ususlly) listed in the (RV-10) plans but on the packing list that come with each kit. I am assuming Tom is asking because he does not have any plans as yet and is just planning.

Actually, I do have the wing plans/instructions for the RV-12, which do not contain the material thickness information. But, you're right, I am just planning at this point. Not to open a can of worms here, but the thinkness was important to me in determining a good, flush pull rivet alternative, that will provide as good, or better, assembly than the ones provided with the kit. Like you say "just planning".

Tom

Back