What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any information on Archos recorders?

penguin

Well Known Member
Patron
I am considering buying an Archos 605 4gb personal media player, with a DVR Travel Adapter, as a bullet cam recorder. Does anyone have any experience - positive or negative - using these devices as airborne recorders? I'm specifically interested in how easy it is to interface a non Archos bullet cam and hook the recorder up to a remote audio source (eg the intercom) - it sounds straight forward, but ...

Any advice gratefully received.

Pete
RV-6A

Same Question

I have the same question. I'm looking for digital recorder deck... as opposed to the miniDV tape system that I now use. I have seen some that are really pricey. Archos might be OK. ??

(sorry not an answer but a further question)

John

All the information that I have found so far says that this is going to be OK. The Travel Adapter has a regular video/L/R input plug, so the output from any camera - or a TV - should be compatible. I suspect that audio matching may be an issue and will have to look at what kind out outputs my audio panel (PS6000) offers. The main complaint with the Archos appears to be that the battery does not last very long (only a few hours), but I think that is the hard drive versions so should not be a problem with the 4gb version, and anyway a few hours is fine for airborne applications and there's always the option of supplying +12v. Once I get management approval this looks like a runner.

Pete

I have the Archos 604 wifi, and the Archos helmet camera.

You must have the travel adapter to hook up the camera, but it does come in the box with the camera luckily.

The travel adapter has an input for DC 5v shore power.

The input for the camera (looks to me to be proprietary) is not the usual RCA plug, it is a dual pin setup, one is flat with a couple of coper strips on each side, and the other is round, with four connectors----tip, and 3 bands. The round plug is same size as a typical mini headphone plug, like a MP 3 player, the flat one is just a bit wider than a paper match, and about the same thickness.

If these are standard hookups, they are something new to me.

The two pins are in a single molded plug, that fits into the travel adapter.

There is an inline on/off switch and microphone in the camera cord, which is about 4 to 5 feet long.

The unit seems to work well, the depth of field listed in the manual is 10 meters, but I am seeing good images from apx 200 feet away, which is the most I have tested it.

I will post more, when I have it.

One more thing----

As to the Archos user manuals------------they suck. Period.

Very poor information, and not intuitive operation.:mad:

But, still pretty cool toy.:cool:

Question for Mike S about Archos

Mike, I'm interested in Archos or similar device. Disappointed to hear that review.

Using the travel adapter, would you be able to hookup any non-proprietary camera or video device ? Is there accommodation for red/white/yellow RCA inputs ?

Thanks for any info

JohnM
N5800

In Europe a cable that has a 3.5mm 4 element mini jack on one end (as described by Mike as "round, with four connectors----tip, and 3 bands") and 3 RCA plugs the other (red, white, yellow) is about $5 - they must be available Stateside. I'm guessing the 2 pin flat plug is to do with the in line on/off switch? If using a non Archos camera I imagine the record button on the touch screen could be used, is that right, Mike?

Pete

In Europe a cable that has a 3.5mm 4 element mini jack on one end (as described by Mike as "round, with four connectors----tip, and 3 bands") and 3 RCA plugs the other (red, white, yellow) is about $5 - they must be available Stateside. I'm guessing the 2 pin flat plug is to do with the in line on/off switch? If using a non Archos camera I imagine the record button on the touch screen could be used, is that right, Mike?

Pete

Pete, I am pretty sure the flat plug is power, and maybe switch leads.

Also, pretty sure you hit the nail on the head for the round pin, although it looks like about 1/8th inch in diameter, IIRC, that is pretty equal to a 2.5mm-----but I may be wrong here.

John, Archos offers an adapter cord with the standard red, white, yellow RCA jacks on one end, and the round plug on the other. However, this is advertised as an output to TV device. Click this link, scroll down to the cord.
The photo shows a plug exactly like the one on the camera, so my guess is that it could be plugged into the travel adapter, and a different camera hooked up, might take a RCA double female, or 3. My second guess, is that the camera would need to have internal power.

http://www.archos.com/products/video/archos_604wifi/accessories.html?country=global&lang=en

Here is the camera I have,

http://www.amazon.com/Archos-500986...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1214183247&sr=1-1

Unfortunately, there is no photo of the plug---:confused:

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back