What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Eggenfelner STI

flyguy6a

I see one for sale on various sites including Egg's. Anything to be concerned about with this engine? Seems affordable.

Jack

sti

I could be wrong but I seem to recall reading a builder website not to long ago that was discussing the STI Egg he had installed. Apparently the STI engine has had many many problems and issues. Do some homework before putting up the $$.

Do a little research

One of my buddies has one and has abandoned it and gone with a Lyc due to all the issues others are having with this engine. His never even flew. I second the advice of above. Buyer beware and do your home work.
Alan Jackson

Factory support?

One of my buddies has one and has abandoned it and gone with a Lyc due to all the issues others are having with this engine. His never even flew. I second the advice of above. Buyer beware and do your home work.
Alan Jackson

Doesn't factory support cover stuff like this? I would hope if the product is unuseable the factory would buy it back? ...or at least make some kind of adjustment?

Jack L.

Last edited:
STI

I have an Eggenfellner STI, and it is currently for sale. http://rv8.ch/

I would not count on a lot of support from the original supplier. The STI is an orphan product, so any help you will get in making one work will need to come from other STI owners. There is a pretty active community of owners, and they are making good progress towards having a solid package.

As I discussed on my website, there are a lot of things that need to be changed before I would consider flying behind the STI, including the ECU, Supercharger, and the PSRU.

I have *a lot* of money "invested" in mine, and it's quite painful to give up on it.

No STI 4 me...Thanks

I have an Eggenfellner STI, and it is currently for sale. http://rv8.ch/

I would not count on a lot of support from the original supplier. The STI is an orphan product, so any help you will get in making one work will need to come from other STI owners. There is a pretty active community of owners, and they are making good progress towards having a solid package.

As I discussed on my website, there are a lot of things that need to be changed before I would consider flying behind the STI, including the ECU, Supercharger, and the PSRU.

I have *a lot* of money "invested" in mine, and it's quite painful to give up on it.

Guess I'll stick with someone like Lyco or Superior on my next project. How many of these Eggenfellner STI's were sold, any idea?

Jack Lucas

STIs sold

Guess I'll stick with someone like Lyco or Superior on my next project. How many of these Eggenfellner STI's were sold, any idea?

Jack Lucas
I can't say for sure, but I would estimate about 25. So far, three have flown that I know of - Ziggy, Robert, and Randy. All three have had their share of problems with either the ECU, supercharger, or PSRU. Some with all three, which is why I believe these all need to be redesigned/fixed/replaced before I would fly behind the engine. I just don't have the time, money, and expertise to redesign these critical elements.

Factory support was fairly good up until spring '07. There were a lot of major issues and problems that were unforeseen when the engines were bought & eventually shipped, but the factory seemed to be doing the best it could to make things right. After it became apparent in spring '07 that our "new" Gen 2 PSRUs were not going to cut it at all and that the factory would not be replacing the "marginal in every aspect" (Eggenfellner quote) Gen 2 PSRUs, coupled with an increasingly hostile and disinterested factory attitude, relations between the STi owners and the factory deteriorated to the point where I think few, if any, of us STi owners want anything to do with the factory any more.

Those of us, like me, who are determined to make this engine work, continue to help each other through what seems like a never-ending series of significant engineering hurdles. Mickey Coggins' assessment of the engine is very accurate. It'll be a good engine; it just needs a lot more development to work out the bugs in the implementation.

If anyone does buy one of the (at least 3 that I know of) Eggenfellner STi engines that are available for sale, the buyer should contact me to get on our private emailing list (and/or the STi Yahoo Group) where we share ideas, status, successes, failures on what it will take to get these engines working properly.

I am hopeful that our planned switch to the SDS ECU will resolve several problems, including the "limp home mode" that caused the only flying STi to crash a couple months ago.

If someone buys one of these Eggenfellner STi engines, they should plan on zero factory support for it. The group of current owners is very helpful to each other in sharing information on making the engines work.

Another thing to check if someone buys one of these - two STi owners who have had occasion to remove their intake manifold have each found that the manifold to head surface was not machined properly. One was bad enough to be leaking air and the other owner said his gasket was barely compressed at all in areas. Not hard to fix, but one more thing to be aware of and check.

Doesn't factory support cover stuff like this? I would hope if the product is unuseable the factory would buy it back? ...or at least make some kind of adjustment?

Jack L.

Back