What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cost of small shipments to Australia from USA

Ausflyer

Well Known Member
I recently ordered some tools from ACS and Avery for my RV-12 project. Both companies offer a range of shipping options to Australia.
Avery did not have all the tools I needed. I ticked a box on the ACS order form without really knowing which delivery service was best and ended paying USD 53.37 to UPS Express Saver for a box under 2 pounds with a yoke and scotchbrite pads that cost USD 84.55

The rest of my tools needed are part of the Avery tools RV-12 tool kit, and I ordered them online. Again I had to select my freight company, so I asked Averys to do it for me. Carla at Averys responded to my order, and to my comment that customers in Australia had little info to select a freight company. She double-checked her own recommendation and my small box of tools valued at USD 462.33 will cost USD 105 for freight.

Comments I have received about some companies include:

?J I did a check into different shipping possibilities and we can do U.S. Postal Service which would run you about $95.50 however if it gets lost it takes about six months for us to file a claim and get whatever problem with it resolved. It also will not get to you for at least 10 working days. With FedEx it is $105.00 and the likelihood of it getting lost is very slim and it will get to you in 3-4 working days. UPS is just completely off the charts when it comes to international shipments so we don?t usually even mention them, it was something like $170.00 to ship and we aren?t sure how long it would take to get to you.?

There are many Aussies buying tools from the US and I would appreciate their ideas of the best way to bring over small consignments. So would the firms that sell the tools.

Please tell us about your experience, or how you make a choice of freight company.

Rod

Rod,

Is there any chance you can have the tools shipped to Van's and then ask Van's to pack them with your kit?

Just a thought. Van's may not offer this service but it never hurts to ask.

NZ freight

I'm in NZ and have the same issues. I've found that combining shipments from different companies can reduce overall costs though you may need to wait to get a shipment together. Vans is always more than happy to throw stuff in any major shipment from them, even big items. Getting together with other builders and sharing freight costs is also effective, but again you may need to wait while everything comes together.

Otherwise for smaller value lightweight items that I don't need in a hurry USPS works well (no insurance, no tracking), and as long as it isn't too big or heavy then FedEx isn't too bad either if you need it in a hurry or want it insured. Don't use FedEx for big or heavy stuff though unless you really need to! Some suppliers have preferential rates with shipping companies (Craig Catto, for example, has good rates with Bax Global), so always ask. I've found Avery very good at working out the best shipping; tell them when you need it and they'll usually work something out. Which reminds me, I need to order something from them...

Freight certainly is a killer for us here downunder; I reckon 30% of the cost of build my -8 will be in freight & customs/tax charges alone! I'm not looking forward to bringing the engine over; OUCH!!

DHL

Not sure what the comparison would be with FEDEX et. al. to your location(s) but I've had good luck with DHL when shipping overseas and found their rates to be very competitive. They offer customs pre-clearance in many countries by shipping customs paperwork ahead of the shipment so the customs work is done while the shipment is still in the air.

Good luck,
Mike

Not much better in Canada

Don't feel to bad. I live in Canada. It is expensive to ship up here as well unless you use the postal service, and there is no water to cross.

Just as an idea -- most recently. Hartzel prop--$440 shipping with Fed Ex, and a complete run around trying to clear customs. It took four weeks to get my prop.

Two mooney windows--Value $220 plus $174 shipping through Ups in which I have a customs acount set up so they did the paperwork to clear customs.

Not cheap. Freight has been an expensive addition to the overall cost of my aircraft.

Also if the company that is sending the product does not fill out the proper paperwork before sending there product, expect to pay lots more for the freight company to do it for them.

Hello Rod, what I have found out is DONT use a freight company if you only need something small. I use USPS first class, yes its a postal service and does take up to 3 weeks to get here, but most things only cost $35 - $55 USD with NO customs if under $1000. If its something heavy then get it sent to Vans and they will send it with your kit. you can PM me if you like for more ideas. :)

Rod,

Is there any chance you can have the tools shipped to Van's and then ask Van's to pack them with your kit?

Just a thought. Van's may not offer this service but it never hurts to ask.

Van's does this all the time.
To Europe, Australia, and anywhere else outside of the U.S.

USPS rulez

I now use USPS for everything. I've never lost a package shipped to either Switzerland or France, but I often need to spend a lot of time convincing suppliers to ship with USPS due to the "no tracking" issue. Sometimes they refuse, and if I really need something from that supplier, I have it shipped to my sister or my Dad, and have them ship it USPS to me (thanks sis, thanks pop!). Also, it seems to be more work for the supplier since they have to actually go to the post office to ship.

The additional charges on this end for all the other companies is way too expensive. I figure if I ever lose a package, that's life. At least the other 500 shipments have gotten here fine.

Van's does this all the time.
To Europe, Australia, and anywhere else outside of the U.S.

I did my previous order to Van's about two months ago and ordered several small things from other shops (tools etc.) and they were all shipped to Van's. Once everything was there I filed my order to them and they shipped all in single box. Done this few times and no complaints what so ever...

Summary of suggestions

The Problem
The wing kit for your RV-12 project is on its way and now a suggested list of tools is available. You check thru the list and find there are a few tools you don?t have in your workshop. Avery Tools pops up as a supplier of the full kit, so you decide to order from them after checking prices with the Aircraft Spruce (ACS) online catalogue

The freight companies
From ACS online order form, you can choose from

? USPS Priority Mail (USPS = United States Postal Service)
? DHL Courier (DHL is the courier service of Deutsche Post World Net)
? FEDEX International Economy (Supposed to take 2-5 days)
? FEDEX International Priority (Supposed to take 1-3 days)
? UPS Worldwide Express saver (UPS = United Parcel Service)

Avery tools list USPS, FEDEX and UPS among their US domestic shippers, but asks you to contact them about foreign orders e.g. to Australia.
When I contacted them for international carriers, they offered USPS, FEDEX and UPS

Ask the Vendor
When I asked Avery?s to check they had the best freight deal, they were very helpful and clearly understood that freight for Aussies was a big cost. Their advice agreed with all the hard won experience of group members. So don?t hesitate to email the vendor and get their recommendation.

Combining orders
Save money on freight by combining orders
Get your tool supplier to in the US to send your tools to the aircraft kit supplier
Friends add their needs to yours to make one larger order, and split the cost of the freight. But I think the invoice needs to be in one name, to keep it simple for Aussie customs.

GST
You are liable to pay 10% Australian GST on the invoice total, including packing and freight, if that value is over $1000AUD. Apparently some parcels slip past the customs. FEDEX is known to be diligent in collecting GST when payable. When your order is over $1000, you have to decide whether splitting your order to avoid GST, and paying two lots of freight will make a saving.

Australian Customs Duty
Most homebuilder?s tools suppliers know to mark the export papers with ?made in USA? and ?Tools for homebuilt aircraft?. Perhaps we are getting the benefit of the free trade agreement between us. So far I have paid no duty to Australian customs

Order tracking and insurance
FEDEX and UPS offer these options. They give you a consignment number by email and you can search on the net to find out where you goods are.
USPS has no tracking and insurance is not offered. But some homebuilders swear by their reliability and pocket the saving. Your call, unless you find your supplier insists you have the shipment insured.

Pick up or post office
Some US vendors don?t use USPS because they have to take the parcel to the PO and wait in line. I hate waiting in line too, and its not even costing me.
Fedex and UPS do door to door

Cheapest company for small parcels
USPS seems to be the cheapest but you take the risks, and get delivery by Australia Post?s contractor if you are home. If not, pick it up at the PO. Parcels from the US using USPS take 14-20 days.
FEDEX Priority costs 10% or so more, but you get tracking, insurance and delivery to you door. Even FEDEX Economy is quick compared to Australia Post
Forget UPS ? their prices are off the planet according to several commentators.

Whoops! Sending it back
Australia post will send it back for you, but work out the cost on their website first. Their charges are up there with UPS. It will be worth checking FEDEX. Also had a good report about DHL shipping items out of NZ.

Acknowledgements
Thanks to the builders in the VAF and RVs-in-Aus groups for your helpful comments and suggestions. Thanks to Carla at Avery?s too.

Best of luck, Rod

Back