What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV4 Roll Bar

Bob Mears

I heard that there is someone in Calif that makes a roll bar that is oval following the curvature of the canopy. Does anyone have information about this. I have the standard one but it looks out of character with the rest of the airplane with it a-frame configuration. I thought I would give the oval one a try.

Bob Mears

building a roll bar

Bob,

I had one fabricated. You will need to find a place that sells the same size chromolly tubing. Buy about about 6 feet of it. Then locate a commercial machine shop with a mandrel bending machine...one that can handle that size material without flattening it as it bends it. Make a cardboard template where you will be locating the bar under the canopy. this gives the shop a way to bend the tube to your specification. Then you can fabricate a set of brackets for attachment and have them welded up. Cost me about $250 total. (you need to buy extra material because the machine needs about a foot on either side to achieve the proper bend. Hope this helps.

Ron

Well worth it, the stock one is ugly

I got mine from a guy in oregon. I tried contacting he but he is MIA, and this was 7-8 years ago, sorry no help I know, but attached picture to show you what it should look like. (click to enlarge)

Roll Bar

Thanks for the input. I will have to decide what I can do. I had hoped it would be straight forward and I could just order one. But, I will work it out.

Bob

Roll bar

Mine has the GPS antenna on it and is paddded and covered as a head rest. It looks fine.

Gary

I was about to ask if anybody had padded their rollbar. I've got my plane to the point of trying it on for size and have noticed that the roll bar would KONK the sh** out of my head in a crash. The rear bow of the canopy frame would probably destroy the pax' brain stem as well. These things will be heavily padded on my plane.

Steve Zicree
RV4 Finishing

szicree said:
I was about to ask if anybody had padded their rollbar. I've got my plane to the point of trying it on for size and have noticed that the roll bar would KONK the sh** out of my head in a crash. The rear bow of the canopy frame would probably destroy the pax' brain stem as well. These things will be heavily padded on my plane.

Steve Zicree
RV4 Finishing

You plan on landing the plane in reverse??
Heck, I thought the 4-pt harness would take care of *forward* crashes as long as I didn't allow the thing to flop onto its back.. :eek:

One of the pax drills is 'How to REALLY tighten the belts'. I have those Hooker things and a lot of faith. ;)

This discussion has me looking for my old military helmets.

Yes, I plan on landing in reverse. Actually, the neck is quite elastic and will rebound after a frontal impact. You can tighten the straps all you want and it won't stop your head from flopping around like a bobble head.

Steve Zicree

szicree said:
Yes, I plan on landing in reverse. Actually, the neck is quite elastic and will rebound after a frontal impact. You can tighten the straps all you want and it won't stop your head from flopping around like a bobble head.

Steve Zicree

Point well taken and stated. I do remember some footage of staged crashes and what you say happens. (I didn't want to remain something of a SA, here ;) )

I was serious about helmets, though. I flew with them for years and if I could get just a bit more clearance at the top, I'd continue. Thumping the canopy in choppy air is aggravating... and it damages the canopy.

Back