What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Construction Classes

frazitl

Well Known Member
Having yet to drive my first rivet for real (on real airplane parts I intend to place my real backside in), I have just completed Cleveland's two day RV Building course. A few thoughts from a third party (no relationship whatsoever with Cleavland).

I strongly recommend that anyone planning to commit aviation in an aircraft they have built, take one of these classes. I've not taken any other classes, but the Cleavland Tools class was well worth two days of my time and the entrance fee. I made a couple mistakes that would have easily cost me the entrance fee in replacement Van's parts, but the biggest issue is you don't know what you don't know!

Understanding what to look for, and how to judge what is realistically OK are topics that show up over and over in these forums. The class doesn't (and can't realistically) cover all the details, but the basics of airframe construction must be based on this fundamental knowledge. I'm sure I would have learned all this stuff as I completed my 7A (Tail kit in the garage, and quickbuild on order), but it's nice to have learned these things in a practice environment. It would be a real bummer to find out that your basic structure is not what you had expected when you were putting the finishing touches on that Grand Champion paint job!

Terry Frazier
7A, Tail parts in the garage

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my 2c

You'll find the guys are very devided about paying for training.

The ones that have gone will seriusly recommmend it, the once that didn't will say it is not necesary.

I am fairly handy with tools, but yet I did the empennage course at at Alexander Tech Center. Little longer (5-7days), little more expensive per day, but you get to finish your own empennage in that time!

People that did not go on such a course sit weeks/months to finish their emp, and put a whole lot more time into it, but most of them get it done without training.

So in the end if you think time is money, and you are a first time builder pay someone to teach you, and work on your own empennage, so the time is not waisted.

Kind Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
Back