What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Yellowstone

hgerhardt

Well Known Member
Planning on flying to Yellowstone in July. Looked at Google Earth and looks like Cody, WY is the place to tie down for a few days. Anyone have any opinions on which of the two FBO's to use, and also hotels in the area? Or, am I better off at Jackson Hole?

Heinrich Gerhardt
RV-6, flying

I've only stopped at West Yellowstone. It was my first overnight XC flight as PIC and first XC with the wife. Yellowstone Aviation took care of us.

ps- you may want to avoid jacksonhole, due to possible VP Cheney TFR's

I do recommend West Yellowstone...there's camping on the field (with firewood and running water), good loaner bicycles, and nice people. You're just a few miles from the park there...

Planning on flying to Yellowstone in July. Looked at Google Earth and looks like Cody, WY is the place to tie down for a few days. Anyone have any opinions on which of the two FBO's to use, and also hotels in the area? Or, am I better off at Jackson Hole?

Heinrich Gerhardt
RV-6, flying

Where are you coming from?

JAC is close, but expensive. BZN is further away, although it's less than two hours and a lot cheaper, and the drive from I-90 to the park is pretty.

Also, if you plan on flying IFR, check the MEAs in/out of JAC - pretty stout.

TODR

If you are coming from SoCal West Yellowstone or Driggs would be the best bet. Idaho Falls is not that far away and would have the cheapest rental cars. Driggs is right over the hill from Jackson and a MUCH friendlier airport for GA. Going to any of those you stay on the west side of the Rockies and you would probably want to go upthrough Salt Lake City. West Yellowstone is very nice with a very friendly FBO and there are rental cars there also. Lots of good hotels in West also. Don

If you are coming from SoCal West Yellowstone or Driggs would be the best bet. Idaho Falls is not that far away and would have the cheapest rental cars. Driggs is right over the hill from Jackson and a MUCH friendlier airport for GA.
WYS is a good stop, Driggs is a better traditional FBO. Airplane-only camping is normally available at WYS, hot showers to boot. Driggs has a good FBO and cafe. If you're a glider pilot, Driggs has a commercial soaring operation, and that might be worth a day's distraction.

JAC is beautiful, convenient, expensive and cramped.

TODR

If you happen to be in the terminal at WYS, be advised the ramp is off limits to everyone while the Part 121 scheduled carrier airplane is loading/unloading pax at WYS, (maybe twice a day). It doesn't matter if your RV is on fire. You'll wait until the TSA dude clears you to go.

Steve

Back