What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Could this also be the RV-11?

okiejohn

I have been noticing that glider pilots also need no medical, and they can go above 10000 feet, and a motorglider can weigh more than 1320 lbs.

I was looking at a glider the other day, and it occured to me that someone (including possibly Van ) might might to slip in longer wings and register their RV-12 as a motorglider. Sonex makes the Xenos motorglider, for example. It would be really versatile if you had both sets of wings in your trailer.

I have been noticing that glider pilots also need no medical, and they can go above 10000 feet, and a motorglider can weigh more than 1320 lbs.

I was looking at a glider the other day, and it occured to me that someone (including possibly Van ) might might to slip in longer wings and register their RV-12 as a motorglider. Sonex makes the Xenos motorglider, for example. It would be really versatile if you had both sets of wings in your trailer.

Good pickup

Europa did this as well, although I'm not sure they are still in business. The same fuselage could be used with either the standard or motorglider wings.

Neat little airplane

Sorry but....

... Sonex's are without doubt some of the UGLIEST airplanes I have ever seen.

...sorry...

if you like them, great. If they fly well, great. But for me they are severly visually challenged.

...ugh...

I agree, it's visually challenged, sorry.

Also, the kit price for the sonex is about the same as an RV. Baggage cap, usefull load, speed, and likely resale value all favor the RV7/8.

If it looks right, it flies right?;)

Bevan
RV7A wiring

True, BUT...

Remember; you need a glider rating.

If it is a motor glider, is it treated the same as a glider with regard to a) medical and b) certification required.

If the aircraft is still treated as a glider, at what horsepower or glide ratio does it become a ASEL?

Per "Basic Glider Criteria"

published by FAA; "Chapter 6---Gliders with power for self launching, a. Power-off condition.---It should be demonstrated that the glider has a rate of sink not in excess of 5 ft./sec."
A motor-glider IS treated the same as a glider with regards to medical and certifications standards.

If it is a motor glider, is it treated the same as a glider with regard to a) medical and b) certification required.
Keep in mind there is a subtle difference between glider and sport pilot medical requirements....

You can still get a glider rating with a failed FAA Medical situation without resolving it!

You still need to self-certify you are healthy enough to fly, based on personal physician advise.

And yes, I have had students successfully get a glider rating with failed medicals.

And yes, I have had the same students successfully obtain aircraft insurance without any additional requirements relating to their medical condition, or absence of an FAA Medical.

Last edited:
Once an airplane always and airplane

You can't take a craft certified as an airplane and then fly it as a motor glider, even if you plug in longer wings.

Thus, if you built a short wing Europa and lost your medical, you can't put the longer wings on it and go flying.

Side note, a friend who built his Europa told me a story about some airline pilot who lost his medical. The guy bought (and/or built?) a Europa motor glider with the 914 turbo motor and flew it to OSH last summer from the Southwest at something like 17,500 feet doing 150 knots. Of course he had to suck oxygen but that is still one heck of a "glider"!

As a CFIG, I have taught a number of folks with and with/out power ratings and don't remember any that didn't enjoy and learn from the motorglider (Grob 109B) experience. The rating is fairly easy to accomplish...about the only obstacle for some was the tailwheel part.

If I remember right, for a private pilot (airplane) or higher, a private glider rating only requires a written, 3 hrs with 10 solo flights and 3 prep flights with an instructor. If you only take the checkride in a motorglider, your license will have a restriction that tows have not been demonstrated.

I used to work at Pilot's Choice Aviation in Georgetown, TX and I believe they still have the Grob available for training.

Side note, a friend who built his Europa told me a story about some airline pilot who lost his medical. The guy bought (and/or built?) a Europa motor glider with the 914 turbo motor and flew it to OSH last summer from the Southwest at something like 17,500 feet doing 150 knots. Of course he had to suck oxygen but that is still one heck of a "glider"!

Bill--

I think that story was printed in Kitplanes. The guy was a United Captain. Pretty sweet "loophole"

Joe

Back