What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Catto Props

db1yg

Well Known Member
Hey Folks,

I got a note from Craig yesterday. With his expansion his production is now up to one prop a day (was 2-3/wk) and he expects production to increase further as the new CNC router with 3D modeling software comes on line.

He has also designed an 80" 3 blade to replace the metal prop on the 360 Super Cub. I tell you this because a Cub equiped with his prop won the Valdez Short Field Take off competition--a pretty big deal among North Country Bush pilots. He is now getting flooded with orders from Bush pilots. If you were delaying your order for a Catto for your RV I would not wait too long.

BTW, I am not affiliated with Craigs operation in any way other than being one of many very happy customers!!!

Cheers,

db

Maybe, but...

...he still doesn't answer emails begging him for information for a potential sale. I swear: I'm gonna get hold of that guy if its the last thing I do!!!
:D

Call him. In this world of e-mail, some people still prefer talking to you on the phone. FWIW, he nailed the pitch and diameter for an O-290-G powered Whitman Tailwind... he's got it down!

Tried that...

I actually tried calling a few weeks ago. Can't remember now but I think I got no response. Tried faxing too. Luckily I'm in no particular hurry, and I have other things to pay for as well, but as soon as I have some spar $$$ floating around again I'll take another crack. Like it or not, that guy *is* going to sell me a prop! :D

Have you tried Lonnie Prince

I actually tried calling a few weeks ago. Can't remember now but I think I got no response. Tried faxing too. Luckily I'm in no particular hurry, and I have other things to pay for as well, but as soon as I have some spar $$$ floating around again I'll take another crack. Like it or not, that guy *is* going to sell me a prop! :D

Jeff,

You may also give Lonnie Prince a call (Prince Aircraft Company, http://www.princeaircraft.com). He produces a fantastic prop and is a super nice guy to deal with. He worked with me extensively getting the pitch on my prop exactly where it needed to be. Personally, I?m not sure I would ever go anywhere else for a wood propeller.

David

I have had the best luck in reaching him by calling around 1:00 to 2:00 PM California time. My three blade arrived two months ago and was worth the wait.

He nailed my 6 as well

I get 210mph at 8500'DA and 2750 RPM. EXACTLY what was written on my invoice when I recieved my prop.

Part of the game

When dealing with any custom boutique hand-made aircraft part company, like props, you're going to have to play the game. Part of that game are delays. He could hire a full time customer service person I guess, but than he have to charge more. He's not a fly by night operator, but I understand the frustration in not having your calls returned.

With that said there are other wood prop makers that do nice work and may have better turn around times. Before Sensenich came out with their metal prop and C/S props where as popular and common on RV's, say 80's and early 90's, there where 10 wood prop makers.

I have also heard Prince Aircraft Company makes nice props. They have been around for a long time.

Not trying to turn business away from Catto but just a good idea to shop around. If you check kit plane vendors for props you will see a good list. Wood props are all pretty close in design and performance. Of course Catto does the fiberglass wrap but so do other custom prop makers. Customer service is part of the deal.

What if you have damage and you need your prop reworked. Will they be able or willing to do a quick turn around?

Of course all that know me, I will say Sensenich is a good deal, backed by a big company. You can change the pitch of a Sensenich fairly easily. I also think Sensenich will out perform a Catto and have not been shown I'm wrong. As I always say metal props are thinner and thus have an advantage in efficiency (aka speed).

I'm just a fan of metal props for general flying, more than wood due to durability, performance and customer support. I think the Sensenich is worth a second or third look.

Wood of course is lighter and has natural vibration absorption. Wood also USE to be cheaper. You could pick up a nice wood prop for $800. Now most custom wood props cost more than a Sensenich, north of $2000.

Last edited:
Can't think of a specific subject line

Thanks for the link to Prince props: I'll check that out.

George: one of my concerns, and one that has been in my emails to Craig, is about the servicing/maintenance/repair aspect. Not only is it expensive to ship a 3-blade prop to/from NZ but his lead time is somewhat legendary on the forums!

I'd sorely like to go with a CS prop but the initial dollars are significant. Having said that, shipping on just one return trip for repair of the 3-blade would nearly get there!

That 3-blade does look super cool though ;)

YIKES

I just checked the Prince Aircraft propellers. Very nice indeed, but a two-blade carbon p-tip is $2300US and the three-blade is a whopping $6800US. Neither includes shipping to NZ. Ouch! Haven't ruled out their 2-blade but wheeeeeeee !!!!

Regarding service/maintenance from Catto, I had to have the pitch in my prop adjusted. Turnaround time was less than 2 weeks.

I think Criag makes it a point to get props back out that need repair/service as fast possible. When I asked him about the turnaround time, he was very clear that he understood that I wanted to get flying again ASAP.

Hearing that he has expanded operations is very encouraging. He has experienced one of the downfalls of an excellent product......Being a bit behind on orders. Now with more help and improved tooling, he can hit his stride.

Regards

When dealing with any custom boutique hand-made aircraft part company, like props, you're going to have to play the game. Part of that game are delays. He could hire a full time customer service person I guess, but than he have to charge more. He's not a fly by night operator, but I understand the frustration in not having your calls returned.

With that said there are other wood prop makers that do nice work and may have better turn around times. Before Sensenich came out with their metal prop and C/S props where as popular and common on RV's, say 80's and early 90's, there where 10 wood prop makers.

I have also heard Prince Aircraft Company makes nice props. They have been around for a long time.

Not trying to turn business away from Catto but just a good idea to shop around. If you check kit plane vendors for props you will see a good list. Wood props are all pretty close in design and performance. Of course Catto does the fiberglass wrap but so do other custom prop makers. Customer service is part of the deal.

What if you have damage and you need your prop reworked. Will they be able or willing to do a quick turn around?

Of course all that know me, I will say Sensenich is a good deal, backed by a big company. You can change the pitch of a Sensenich fairly easily. I also think Sensenich will out perform a Catto and have not been shown I'm wrong. As I always say metal props are thinner and thus have an advantage in efficiency (aka speed).

I'm just a fan of metal props for general flying, more than wood due to durability, performance and customer support. I think the Sensenich is worth a second or third look.

Wood of course is lighter and has natural vibration absorption. Wood also USE to be cheaper. You could pick up a nice wood prop for $800. Now most custom wood props cost more than a Sensenich, north of $2000.

I guess I am missing something here. Where is the personal experience that warranted this post suggesting people look for other suppliers? I told Craig I would be ready for first engine start in March. I received my prop from him in February. When I want to talk to him I call him after noon California time. More times than not I will get him on the first few rings.

His props do what he says they will. Why are you directing people to his competitors?

Steve Eberhart

catto

i've had very good luck with graig, this is my third prop from him in 8 yrs. 3 diffrent planes. he just emailed me today telling me he's shipping my prop monday. it is a 2 blade took about 1 month to get. he usually answers emails the same day.

dan carley
RV4
N14FT

Not to me he doesn't Dan!

I sent him another email this morning saying I'm looking to order. If I get no response in a month (yes, A MONTH) then I'll try phoning again. If that doesn't work; well then I guess someone else will benefit! I only have so much tenacity and its hard enough work doing stuff from way down here as it is...

YAY!!!!

He replied! :D

Says he's just gone through an expansion and will likely do so again in another few months. I guess business is very good for him. I'm gonna get this order in quick while I have his attention:).

His Business is Booming - Posted Several Days ago

*Catto Props*
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Folks,

I got a note from Craig yesterday. With his expansion his production is now up to one prop a day (was 2-3/wk) and he expects production to increase further as the new CNC router with 3D modeling software comes on line.

He has also designed an 80" 3 blade to replace the metal prop on the 360 Super Cub. I tell you this because a Cub equiped with his prop won the Valdez Short Field Take off competition--a pretty big deal among North Country Bush pilots. He is now getting flooded with orders from Bush pilots. If you were delaying your order for a Catto for your RV I would not wait too long.

BTW, I am not affiliated with Craigs operation in any way other than being one of many very happy customers!!!

Cheers,

db

three blade for a cub.

I am the second or third to have the three blade on my cub. I can climb at 300f/m with no indicated airspeed at 10500'. Take off very short, noise is very quite. All I can say is WOW. But that is what I expect from Catto

I like Catto props!

Jeff,

Glad to hear you got through to Craig. You are going to be very happy with the appearance and performance of the prop. Just remember that if you have Craig pitch it for cruise (and why would you not?) you will not get full power RPM out of your engine until ALL the fairings are installed on your RV. I picked up around 200 rpm and over 20 mph after all the fairings were installed.

You are gonna love the smooth/quiet performance!

Cheers,

db

I am the second or third to have the three blade on my cub. I can climb at 300f/m with no indicated airspeed at 10500'. Take off very short, noise is very quite. All I can say is WOW. But that is what I expect from Catto

I like Catto props!

At what speed does your ASI start indicating?
tin man

Cheers

Hey Dave,

thanks for that little tidbit. I'll make sure to check numbers with fairings installed. If I can remember that far into the future that is! Meanwhile, conversation with Craig is tripping along nicely, he's fed me some great info and I'm about to place the order. I have my spinner and spinner bulkheads all boxed up ready to go to him to be fitted to the prop (he'll make a much better job than me; I couldn't do a real neat job on an r/c model, let alone a full size RV!). He reckons 12 weeks lead now for international customers. I don't need my prop yet, but having finally got a hold of him I'm not letting the chance slip away! :D

I didn't lie!!

I did say Craig was going to sell me a prop! Well, I don't lie and he has :D

Confirmed my order yesterday and paid in full (except freight) this afternoon by Paypal. Craig is telling me 8-10 weeks lead time. I just boxed up my Vans spinner and spinner bulkheads and sent them over to him to be fitted: I know he'll make a better job than me and it was still a significant saving over getting new ones sent direct from Vans.

I don't know why but this propeller is one of the 'important' items in my mind; you know what its like; ya kinda get excited over something - well, this is one of my 'things' :p. Can't wait for it to arrive now. (even though I know I have to pay freight and NZ customs will probably want another $500NZ from me; nothing is cheap after getting it down to NZ...:()

Back