What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Navaid Autopilot Wiring

n824rv

I purchased a Navaid Autopilot a while ago and it did not include a
wiring diagram. I am in the process of installing it in my RV-7A. It
has the external Smart Coupler II and harness. The question that I
have there is a 8 pin connector on the back of the Navaid head of
which 2 wires are going into the connector from the harness one black
and one red. There are 6 white wires are coming off the connector
and I do not know where they go. Can anyone help me and let me know by
pin which is which. Also on the servo there is a connector with three
wires in a 3 pin female connector can anyone help where they go.

Any help would greatly be appreciated :confused:

Here ya go

Not sure about the color of wires since the wire is supplied by the builder, you just get the plug & pins in the original supplied parts (guess that the black is in pin #1 or ground, and red is in pin #9, positive 12V power). Here is the Pin-out:

(click to enlarge)

I don't understand the Smartcoupler question, but pin #3 and #6 on the back of the Navaid Autopilot head goes to the smart coupler. (ignore the LORAN and VOR ref in above diagram). I assume you have the smart-coupler wire diagram? Pin #7 turns the autopilot off when you transmit. It is an option and not needed if you shield and route the wires and coax properly. Good luck

G

PS: Warning, if you don't have the manual with it I would get one from Navaid. For a small fee, it would be good to get both the Navaid manual and smart coupler from Porcine Associates. Also you can register it with them for any updates that may come out. There are set-up and safety checks that are needed to operated and adjust these units. Auto piltos are great and fun but they can be a hazzard if you don't know the limits and have it set up correctly. :eek:

Last edited:
Also, if you have the S-2 Servo you will want to make sure and install the resistor at the servo motor. It slows down the servo response which will help in reducing servo oscillation.

Resistor?

LifeofReiley said:
Also, if you have the S-2 Servo you will want to make sure and install the resistor at the servo motor. It slows down the servo response which will help in reducing servo oscillation.
What resistor? Is that something they incorporated later inside the servo. What size and how do you wire it? Thanks G

gmcjetpilot said:
What resistor? Is that something they incorporated later inside the servo. What size and how do you wire it? Thanks G

Yes it is something they added, to slow down the servo for responsive airplanes like RVs. If you take the top off the servo, you'll see a big blue resistor held in next to the motor with a plastic wire tie, wired in series with one of the motor power wires (if yours has the resistor.) I forget the size of the resistor but give Navaid a call and they'll send you the part and the wiring diagram free if you need it (at least they did last year for me.)

Jeff Point

gmcjetpilot said:

Call and they should send the resistor and instructions... they did for me .

Back