What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which single axis autop & artificial horiz.

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

There is a very interesting thread over here about IFR for the RV7.

I just happen to come across and it started me thinking. From the outset I decided to build a simple RV7, no auto pilot, but after reading this thread it looks like a good investment to put in at least a single axis autopilot. Just for that occasional ?unplanned? IFR, and to be able to fiddle with the maps etc on cross country flights without nursing the stick.

Since I have no experience in this department, I would to like to hear some comments & recommendations for a simple, effective, affordable:
1) single axis autopilots
2) electronic artificial horizons.

Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards

Rudi

The TruTrak Pictorial Pilot, which combines an artificial horizon and autopilot in one instrument, is a nice package. However, if you are seriously considering IFR flying, it would be smart to keep the artificial horizon and autopilot as seperate instruments. Either one will be a big help in getting you out of a pickle if the other fails. If they both fail together, you have a much more difficult problem to deal with.

If you like TruTrak, consider theri ADI for an electronic horizon paired with their Digitrak single axis autopilot.

Dave Cole

Since that's two...

Since two people used the term "artificial horizon" about the TruTrak Pictorial Pilot, I need to chime in. It's really a turn & bank, not a legit representation of the horizon. I'm not saying the indication doesn't match the horizon -- which it does in shallow banks -- but I am saying that you should be careful how you rely on it. It does not (imho) constitute a reference to the horizon.

I have a Pictorial Pilot and wholeheartedly recommend it.

And I gotta say something in response to:
consider their ADI for an electronic horizon

The ADI is not a true indication of the horizon in my opinion. If the thing doesn't indicate roll through 360 degrees, and if the pitch indication does not always match the horizon in all conditions, then it is simply NOT a horizon indicator.

Be careful out there!

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D (607 hours)
http://www.rvproject.com

Last edited:
Back