What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wings are On! Alignment Question...

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Today was productive here in Houston - so very different from what happened with Katrina a few hundred miles east. There but for the grace of God go we...Anyone who lives on the coast has to be thinking about it tonight...

But as I said, it was productive here! We slid the wings into the fuselage for the first time this afternoon, and I was amazed that both wings were in place with drift pins in just thirty minutes. For drift pins, I used 7/16 and 1/4 inch bolts from Sears Hardware, with the threads ground into bullet points. They slid right in with gentle taps.

We spent the next hour setting the airplane up level and measuring the wing sweep and incidence. Despite the fact that we measured three times, I am still astounded - with the spar in a "neutral" (unloaded) condition, there is zero sweep (as close as we can measure using plumb bobs and chalk lines), the distance from a wing tip rivet to the leading edge of vertical stab is the same to within an eigth of an inch, and the incidence is within a sixtyfourth - really, it is a matter of who is reading the bubble.

So my question - has anybody had the experience that things just lined up right off the bat like this? I didn't drill the rear spar, figuring that I'd go buy some lottery tickets tonight instead! I did call Gus at Van's, and he wasn't that amazed that it was lined up so well.

Actually, I spent the night trimming the flaps, and they are close to finished - will measure all the wing parameters again tomorrow, and if they still look good, I'll drill the hole. Heck, the airframe probably warps with temperature by more than the errors I seem to have.

So what do ya'll think, am I lucky, or incredibly bad at measuring? :confused:

Paul Dye

I thought I was the only one to have such luck with all lining up on the first try. I was sure I was reading a measurment incorrectly....but after calling Vans, they said I got a good one. :D

worked for me

Yep, I too lucked out. Everything was spot on perfect. No tweaking needed before drilling the aft spar. Can't claim too much credit though, mine was a QB.

Wing alignment

I helped my son install his wings to drill the rear spar at the end of June. He had to trim the fittings on the fuselage because they held the rear spars too far out and caused a forward sweep. I believe the instructions warned that this may be necessary. Other than that, we had the same results you experienced!

After seeing thousands of rivet holes line up in the sheet metal parts, we probably shouldn't be too surprised that the 'big stuff' lines up as well! But it sure is a great feeling when it does. I'm just starting my wings, but have high hopes of seeing the same results when I mount them.

Dennis Glaeser
7A

Thanks!

Thanks for the confirmations guys - it is an unfortunate truism of the Web that you normally hear more problems than successes, because people ask for help and describe problems, but rarely write when things go well - so we get a negative view of most things.

I'm going to go ahead and drill the holes!

Paul

wing alignment

Here's what I ended up with:

20040825174402410_6_original.gif

For the full story:

http://www.rv8.ch/article.php?story=20040825174402410

Back