What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 Air Filter issue

jacksel

Well Known Member
I have an 0-360 on my RV-6 and I recently noticed that the air filter seems to rotate in flight. I can tell because the visible metal connection band is in a different position after landing than before I tookoff. The FAB and filter are installed per the plans (I believe) with the filter protruding slightly above the plate before tightening it down. It seems secure and tight before takeoff but I'm certain it is rotating in flight. Do you think it's something I need to look into? Appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks.

Jacksel

This is a fairly common phenomenon with these FAB's. Many peoples (including mine) have moved enough over time to actually begin to wear through the FAB itself. Part of the problem is created when you construct the FAB itself, if you don't make it so the air filter itself is pushed tightly up against the top plate, it moves! Also, just a note, these air filters do shrink after time/washing/cleaning. I replaced mine after 3 years because it was noticably smaller than a new one.

My fix (this past weekend) was stolen from many other high time RV6 drivers, which was to simply rivet an aluminum plate into the bottom of my FAB, which accomplishes 2 things. It moved the air filter up just enough to tighten it up, and...if it does move it probalby won't weat through that aluminum plate like it does the fiberglass.

Just my 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein.

Back