What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint shops in the Southeast

C-J

I'm starting my search for a quality aircraft paint shop in the southeast. I was originally going to paint myself, but my RV 7 is comming along so well that I don't want to mess up a such a great plane with a OK paint job. I painted the interior with Imron and that worked out well, but I also learned what it takes to do thing really well. I don't belive I can't do a 9 or 10 paint job with out a lot more practice, so I guess I need to pay the painter. I'm looking for a painter that will allow me to take the plane apart after flying her in for painting and reviewing the tape lines before laying on the colors. It seems there are some quality painters, but they just don't get the taping lines right. My paint job plan has those swooping lines that have to be right to work. I know it will cost a lot, and it ain't all that hard to use a DeVillbis, but I just don't have the touch. First hand experiece is really appreciated. Thx CJ

CJ
My partner and I own an aircraft paint shop in central PA. I know its not the southeast but were only a 2-3 hour flight. Prior to paint we remove all controls and fairings, etc. and everything is a hand layed scheme. All controls are rebalanced before installing them back on the aircraft. If you are interested in a quote, and would like to see pictures of our work, email me at [email protected] . Thanks.
Matt Marquette
Three In The Green, LLC

Maybe you are not aware but ....

There is one at KAIK.

If you are aware, no need to comment.

A friend took his there and got a nice job a few years back. We were allowed to take things apart to our wishes and assist in putting back together to our wishes.

There seemed to be no problem with working with them on the lines either.

Since I have not been there recently, I do not know the current status.

James

You might check with Bobby Potts @ Tuscaloosa, AL 205-333-3116.
I will probably have him do my 10. I know he has done several RV's.
Doug Preston
N372RV
BHM

There are several paint shops at Griffin, Ga. That are familiar with RVs. There have been quite a few built on that field. I was flying for a company some years ago that had the shop on the Aiken airport paint two planes for them and they did a good job.

KIAK-425

As James Clark said, there is the one there. They painted our Conquest C-425. Very pleased with their work. I haven't had a price yet on the RV, but will at least talk with them when the time comes.:cool:

Anyone got any names or maybe numbers. I am ready to paint or fly.;) I would like to have mine painted completely disassembled. I am also tempted to just put it together and fly before I have to mortgage my house to buy fuel.

Last edited:
Legends

Legends is the name of the paint shop in AIK. They are on the north side of the E-W runway about 1/2 way down. Don't have the number with me. Soaking up rays in Nassau right now.:cool:

Hi Carl.....

.....and remind me to introduce you to Lee Strickland in Sandersville, Ga and show you some of his work.

Regards,

Legends is the name of the paint shop in AIK. They are on the north side of the E-W runway about 1/2 way down. Don't have the number with me. Soaking up rays in Nassau right now.:cool:

[FONT=Century Gothic, Arial, Helvetica][/FONT][FONT=Century Gothic, Arial, Helvetica]Legends Aircraft LLC, Aiken SC Cliff Sims - 803-648-9571 [email protected]

They did a partial repaint on a Skyhawk I used to have - good work and nice to deal with.

[/FONT]

Tuscaloosa Interior and Paint

My RV-7A is currently in Bobby Potts paint shop in Tuscaloosa. I took him a very rough plane and so far, it looks like it's turning out pretty good. I can send you pictures when it's done if you'd like. It should be done next week.

Bill Near

Painting

Thanks all for the leads. I probably should have said that I'm looking for a real high quality paint shop. I do now some of the shops you all have mentioned, and they are know for good utility work, think UPS truck; but I'm looking for a shop that takes real pride it their paint jobs and you can see it the minute the plane shows up. It amazes me how many folks are out there painting planes and not doing the job much better then many of us home builders. I have been painting the interior of my plane using Imron, using a $200 DeVillbis, and the finish is almost as good as many of the planes I have seen out of some of these paint shops. Jeez- I also can't quite understand why a local auto paint shop can get a great finsh on a 59 Chevy in a garage for $2K and we have to pay $5-10K for an OK finish on a plane we spend 2-3000 hours to build. Sorry for the soapbox, am I crazy?? CJ

Paint Shop

Howard Freeman (901-476-1222) is a paint shop with an impecable reputation at the Covington, TN municipal airport (M04) a few miles northeast of Memphis International. I personally have not used them, but I've seen their work. I don't think you can do better. They WILL paint my RV7.
Fox Smith
[email protected]

Back