What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tru Track ARINC/Serial Connectivity

I am installing a GNS 530 connected to a Tru Track DigiFlight II VSGV autopilot, via an AFS 3500 EFIS and ARINC Adapter (I am also installing a ARINC seletor switch to enable connection from either the AFS ARINC adapter or direct to the Garmin as recommecded by AFS).

Am I right in presuming that if I connect to the Digiflight using ARINC that there is no need to connect the RS232 line from the Autopilot to the Garmin GPS as well. Or is there some hidden advantage which I do not know about? The manual does not really make this clear.

As an aside, does anyone have the power pin out for the Tru Track Turn and Bank connector - I seem to have mislaid my paperwork!

Many thanks

I aksed Rob hickman this very question. You still need the SErial connection from the garmin.

See edited email below

If you do not connect the ARINC input to the 430W you will lose the ability to set the course/OBS from the EFIS and you will have to do it with the Garmin CDI. If you have it connected you will set the Course/OBS with the EFIS unless you do not have it displayed on the EFIS then you will use the Garmin CDI.

The Trutrak needs the RS-232 signal.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Alton DeWeese
Monday, March 17, 2008 12:08 PM
[email protected]
Subject: Question

I posted this on the forum, but thought I might get a quicker answer if I sent it to you.

Before I dig into the 430W wire harness, can I get by with not installing the ARINC-429 input to the 430W( pinsP4001-48, 49). Stark ran the other ones out for me but not the inputs. If I can get by with not using this, what features have I lost?

One more question:
If I am using the ARINC-429 converter, do I still need to run the 430W NEMA output to the Trutrak?

One other important piece of information: I have a garmin CDI hooked up to the 430W. I wold like to leave it installed.

Alton DeWeese

Proud owner of a AFS-3500

installed in a RV-7a

Last edited:
I am installing a GNS 530 connected to a Tru Track DigiFlight II VSGV autopilot, via an AFS 3500 EFIS and ARINC Adapter (I am also installing a ARINC seletor switch to enable connection from either the AFS ARINC adapter or direct to the Garmin as recommecded by AFS).

Am I right in presuming that if I connect to the Digiflight using ARINC that there is no need to connect the RS232 line from the Autopilot to the Garmin GPS as well. Or is there some hidden advantage which I do not know about? The manual does not really make this clear.

As an aside, does anyone have the power pin out for the Tru Track Turn and Bank connector - I seem to have mislaid my paperwork!

Many thanks

Mark, you will still need to connect the RS232 to the autopilot. This is where the Track display is fed from. The ARINC 429 wires provide only steering commands, not actual track data. If you leave the RS232 disconnected you will still be able to use GPSS and GPSV modes, but the display in the top left of the autopilot will be fed from it's internal magnetometer instead of the more accurate GPS ground track.

A switch to move between suppying ARINC info form the GPS or AFS unit will work just fine.

For the Trun and Bank, looking at the back of the unit, the pin on the upper left is power and the lower middle is ground. The pin on the upper right is not used. Thanks!

Lucas,

Many thanks for your speedy reply - very clear.

One supplemental: I am using the Garmin 530 serial Port 1 to my AFS EFIS, this provides air data from the Garmin, one of the only serial ports on the Garmin that provides this data as I understand it. Should I tap into this line and take the output to the Autopilot, or is there another suitable serial port in the Garmin that you would recommend to connect to the TRU Track that provides suitable TRACK data.

Lucas,

Many thanks for your speedy reply - very clear.

One supplemental: I am using the Garmin 530 serial Port 1 to my AFS EFIS, this provides air data from the Garmin, one of the only serial ports on the Garmin that provides this data as I understand it. Should I tap into this line and take the output to the Autopilot, or is there another suitable serial port in the Garmin that you would recommend to connect to the TRU Track that provides suitable TRACK data.

Mark,

I'm not exactly sure what ouput type the AFS needs. We need the output on the Garmin to be set to Aviation format. As long as that's what you're using at a baud rate no greater than 9600, you'll be good to tap into that output. Thanks!

Back