What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mated Surface Primer

Sabrina.aero

I'm New Here
What primer would you guys recommend for the mated surfaces of a planned mirror finish RV-12? VCI 373 Cortec Primer?

Sabrina

http://sabrina.aero

P.S. What would one use on the pulled rivet stems to prevent the exposed steel portion from rusting?

I don't know aything about the primers, but welcome to the site.
interesting videos.

And now your going to build a -12?

I've found that rattle can Marhyde self etching grey primer is convenient and effective.
Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Wiring ad tidying up

Here's what the RV-12 manual has to say:

The traditional primer used on aircraft aluminum has been Zinc Chromate. With proper surface cleaning, this is still a good primer. However, there are many newer primers available which are superior. Most of these are two part, catalytic curing primers.

DUPONT VERI-PRIME #615 AND 616S
DITZLER DP-40/50 EPOXY
TEMPO brand chromate (spray can)
PRATT & LAMBERT Vinyl Zinc Chromate, EX-ER-7 and T-ER-4 Reducer
SHERWIN WILLIAMS WASH PRIMER #P60G2 and Catalyst Reducer #R7K44
MARHYDE self etching primer, available in a spray can as well as quarts

Primers like P60G2, Vari-Prime and others are relatiely inexpensive, light and easy to apply. ... They do need to be sprayed with a gun....

Some aerosol primers are useful for small parts when you don't want to set up to spray a whole batch....They are impractical for painting the whole airplane or large skins.

Generally (not everyone will agree) it is accepted that two part epoxy primers provide the best corrosion resistance. However, they are expensive, toxic, heavy and dry slowly all of which makes them problematic for the home builder. If you can tolerate those issues and want your RV to be in good shape when your grandchildren inherit it, they may be "best" for you.

Van's Aircraft does not have an "approved" primer. We use Sherwin Williams P60G2. This is used on the QBs and prototypes made here. ... We use this primer because it is inexpensive, dries fast, and is easy to apply. Sherwin Williams will tell you that the primer needs a top coat. True, for optimum corrosion resistance, but Vans feels that this is not necessary for the way in which most owners will maintain their RVs.

Last edited:
You can also read these threads for non-12 specific primer discussions. And since you're working with kids, you might consider AFS primer, which purports to be a little less damaging to the environment and the user.

Off line, builders are suggesting NO primer, just Corrosion X on the internal and mated surfaces for a polished RV12 since the wings come off and it is very easy to re-spray them with an application of Corrosion X every now and then. What is the consensus on line?

Never got this one answered... what to do with the exposed steel rivet stems of the pulled rivets?

I am afraid once I start using Corrosion X it would seep into the rivets and I would never be able to get epoxy to stick in the stem holes, if that is how I choose to prevent them from rusting, or would the Corrosion X be good enough for that purpose too?

Will the Corrosion X make the job of polishing to a mirror finish harder, easier or no difference?

I have lots of experience polishing, Corrosion X won't effect the polishing at all. You may have a gooey mess on top of that mirror shine though...

Back