What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which Pneumatic Rivet Gun

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
OK, quote from another thread where the HarbourFreight POP rivet guns packed up...

For you guys looking at HF Pneumatic Riveters, a better option can be found here:

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=6303810&PMT4NO=42792284

A couple of other kit manufacturers, including one which rhymes with Vans recommend them.

I need to order a gun to be send all the way to South Africa, I want something is going to last 10,000 odd rivets.

Any experienced opinions please. How is the Avery gun for instance?

Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
OK, looks like some more HF guns are giving troubles.
I have not bought a gun yet, so I'll ask again now that more people have pulled rivet gun experience.

What reliable guns are you guys using and where can I get it.

Regards
Rudi

Rudy,

I suspect most are using the HF gun as it is cheap and readily available. Also, the of pulled rivets on the 6,7,8,9,10 is minimal. The gun in the link I posted is what Rans uses for Production.
Since whatever you purchase is going to South Africa, I would consider ordering 2 of them for backup.

Pneumatic Gun

If anyone has read our saga of buildiing the 12, you'll note the problems we had with the HF gun. We just went ahead and got the gun sold by Spruce, and ..."it ain't missed a lick, yet..." It was worth the money, about eighty bucks.
Meade #16:)

Avery's Pneumatic

I've been using the Avery Tools Taylor Pneumatic Riveter for just two days (about 100 rivets or so). So far so good ... :) . All the tools I received in the RV-12 kit look like top quality.

HF Guns

I am skinning my last 12 wing and have used the same $39 HF gun throughout. I figure I can go through two or three and still come out better if necessary. Air tools just aren't that complicated. Even the HF can be easily overhauled. Jim Cone has a great step by step on one of his threads. I'd rather spend my $70 on a good Scotchbrite wheel....or a pneumatic cleco puller to save my wrists. By the way...the 12 is awesome and plans are as good as Lego instructions. One suggestion: if your hands get messy and oily like mine, buy an 11 x 17 art portfolio for $16 from dickblick.com...it has clear plastic sheets in a nice binder that keeps your instructions in order and clean.

PAN AMERICAN TOOL PNEUMATIC CLECO INSTALL GUN AIRCRAFT

Air powered cleco tool source.

I order one of these:

PAN AMERICAN TOOL PNEUMATIC CLECO INSTALL GUN AIRCRAFT

Off of ebay, sent a message and made an offer ($28 + shipping, total of $35 and he took it. He said he had 200 of them.

I've tested it and it works well. It was in fact as advertised.

Here is the link to his current auction (or search under cleco):

http://cgi.ebay.com/PAN-AMERICAN-TO...ryZ20773QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Regards, Dave

I'd rather pay a bit extra and get a good tool.

I don't like tools that spit oil all the time or need an 'overhaul' or 'adjustment' just when I am ready to rivit that ackward spot.

Looks like we have 3 guns running for the long term:

The 'Rans' production
The Aircr Spruce gun is a potensial and the
The Avery gun.

Now we just need someone with +/- 10,000 rivet feedback on these guns.

Anyone?

Rudi

My HF puller lasted only a couple of weeks. I wish I had bought the replacement warranty and kept the receipt.
Chad

receipts

I always misplace receipts too. I now collect all the receipts of stuff I buy for my RV-12 build. I don't think I'll have the guts to add them all up when I'm done. Better if I don't know how crazy I am. :D

I'd rather pay a bit extra and get a good tool.

I don't like tools that spit oil all the time or need an 'overhaul' or 'adjustment' just when I am ready to rivit that ackward spot.

Looks like we have 3 guns running for the long term:

The 'Rans' production
The Aircr Spruce gun is a potensial and the
The Avery gun.

Now we just need someone with +/- 10,000 rivet feedback on these guns.

Anyone?

Rudi

Rudi,

I do not know if only one gun was used, but Rans built the new S-19 with the gun I indicated. It must have 10K plus rivets. Send Rans an email and ask them. Even if you aren't a customer, they will probably answer the question.

Keep your recepts

Hello
Looking at your receipt tells you when and how much. All it takes is a file cabnet to put it in. The older they get means you use them more. Because I too suffer from CRS puttting your hands on it fast is good.
Always lubricate that air tool AFTER you use it not before. You will be surprised at how long they will last. A good lubricant is marvel mystery oil. Even the cheapest air tool lasts longer.

Back