What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder stops

dustman

Well Known Member
Hello folks I have a question I have and older 3 built late 70s early 80 time frame. I bought the plane and have done the B wing mod "fun project". My question the plane has no rudder stops external or internal and I do not see where it ever had any. Is this normal for the later models the new drawings show the stops but to my untrained eye they dont seem to be compatable with my plane. The stops would have extend out beyond the VS a good bit to make contact. Im pretty sure that i have the rudder attached correctly so I dont think its a rudder to HS distance problem any ideas what might be going on. Thanks

I haven't looked closely at the drawings for a -3, so this may be NA, but on an -8, if you build the stops as drawn, they don't extend anywhere near far enough aft - I had to redesign mine to stick back another 1/4" or so (maybe more, I forget). Anyway, this is an area that you simply have to "carve to fit".

Might be the same story on a -3.....

Paul

this is for sure a custom job the space that i have is well beyond a 1/4 inch more like and inch. I think it would almost be impossible for it to contact the stop before hitting the HS and i dont see how the rudder could hit the HS unless it broke the rubber cables. Thanks im probably just missing something i'm sure it is going to work out.

stop

Randy from what I can tell the stop looks to be a piece of flat stock bent on the end to give the correct travel. Am I correct or am I missing something.

Randy from what I can tell the stop looks to be a piece of flat stock bent on the end to give the correct travel. Am I correct or am I missing something.
Yep, I dont' remember exactly but I'm pretty sure it's 3/4" x 3/16" bar stock. Bend it to intercept the rudder horn at a direct 90, leave it a bit long intentionally, then trim the end of it to get the rudder deflection you want.

Back