What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MT Electric & Lightspeed Crank Sensor

DaveG

Has anyone put an MT electric prop on a Lycoming with a lightspeed crank sensor. I am thinking of this combination but don't know if the lightspeed crank sensor will get in the way of the MT electric prop connections.

Has anyone put an MT electric prop on a Lycoming with a lightspeed crank sensor. I am thinking of this combination but don't know if the lightspeed crank sensor will get in the way of the MT electric prop connections.

The MT electric stuff is all up front just aft of the prop. None of the sensor features are connected to the fly wheel or starter ring - at least not on my set up. There is a bracket to hold the brush blocks but it is connected to the engine case.

The MT electric CS propeller slip ring mounts on the inside surface on the back of the ring gear.

The magnets for the Lightspeed crank sensor are mounted into the same surface inside the back of the ring gear.

If you go to the Lightspeed webpage showing the magnet placement, you can see the mount lug material cast into the ring gear where one of the slip ring bolts is installed.

http://www.lsecorp.com/Images/CrankSensor_Magnets_small.jpg

For the Light speed ignition, the Hall Effect Sensor mounted on the accessory case is still an option.

Regards,
Jim Ayers

Last edited:
Back