What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My RV-9A is in paint shop in Sylvania, GA!!!!

cleve_thompson

Well Known Member
Since January, I have flown off my 40 hours on my little RV 9A and am starting to get current for IFR! However, I couldn't put off painting N417CT any longer! I have taken her over to Sylvania, GA, KJYL, to Mr Joe Cleland of Southeastern Aircraft Painting. It has now been there for 2 weeks. Last week, I had to drive over there from Waycross to take a look. (Yes the 35 minute flight took about 3.5 to 4 hours to drive!)
This is what the bird looked like after scuffing the aluminum, treating with Alodine and Zinc primer. The fiber glass was delivered to him very rough! He has sanded it, done some filling and primed it with Hi-build. It feels very smooth to me.
http://picasaweb.google.com/cleve3/Primed417CT25Apr08
I called today and the base white coat is on and he will start on the metallic cherry red bottom this week. He will then add black and grey striping.
So far, I have been very pleased with the work. I can't wait to see the final results which will be in about 2 more weeks.

Looks nice, Cleve. Can't wait to see it finished - I'll even fly you over to pick it up!
Be sure to get the left over paint for touch ups in the future. I just had the top half of my left wing repainted due to some stupidity on my part, but that's another story.

Yep.....

......and if you don't stop by Louisville on the way.....well....may the bird of paradise fly...

Regards,

More details on my paint job in Sylvania, GA

I failed to give Joe Cleland's phone number in my original post. Southeastern Aircraft Painting's number is 912-687-5820. I will certainly post what the finished product looks like, my evaluation of the service, and post the final cost of the job when all is done.

Here is a picture of a beautiful RV that I saw at the Little River, FL fly-in held last fall. This is what my final product will look like, I hope.
littleriverfavoritehn0.jpg

I failed to get to talk to the owner of beautiful RV (N431RP) so maybe one of you could identify him so I can give him my thanks.

I have picked out a metallic cherry red color for the bottom half and changed the handling of the wing tips somewhat.

You will notice that Joe is painting my bird with the control surfaces in place. He said he could do that if he didn't' have to strip the plane. I checked the primer coverage in the joints etc and it was good. I really didn't want to remove any thing because my little bird flies so great just like she is.

Pierre,
I will certainly fly by Louisville on my way home, weather permitting.

Bruce,
I really appreciate your offer to fly me to Sylvania but that would be an imposition and I hope to find a local pilot to fly me over. I will certainly fly up to see you soon after I get back in the air.

Back