What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Alternator safety wire

mburch

Well Known Member
Patron
I was inspired by this post from George to invent what I think is a slightly clever way to secure the safety wire for the two bolts on the alternator tension arm.

I drilled a couple of #30 holes in the meaty part of the arm, and grabbed some #4 steel tinnerman washers and 1/8" steel pop rivets:

20080503_alternator_arm2.jpg

When riveted to the arm, the washer sits just high enough above the surface to capture a loop of safety wire. Now the wire bears on the steel pop rivet stem, and doesn't dig a groove in the alternator arm:

20080503_alternator_arm3.jpg

The finished product:

20080503_alternator_arm7.jpg

happy building,
mcb

Last edited:
Clever Matt - I like it! Next time I am in there, I think I'll make your little mod....I've never been satisfied with my safety wiring in this area!

Paul

Thanks guys. For those who asked, the #4 steel tinnermans come from GAHCo - look for "#4 CSW, SS SH". I used a bunch of them on my canopy to keep the rivets from pulling through the fiberglass skirts. You do have to ream them out very slightly to fit the rivet through, but it's easy enough to do.

The blind rivets are CCPQ-44's, I think. The rivet selection is not critical, I just happen to have a ton of these left over from a previous project.

mcb

Warning, Zombie Thread Revival

Great idea for safety wiring. I did not have the #4 tinnermans, but did have some non-aviation stainless 1/8" rivets. I took a 1/8" washer and cut a slot, set the rivet, then removed the horseshoe washer. It worked GREAT!! My alternator is installed and the safety wire method looks great. Thanks Matt.

Don't shy away from an oldie, but goodie, thread! Timeless information.

Back