What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FBO recomendation at VNY

billnaz

Well Known Member
I'm going to Six Flags this weekend and thought I'd fly into Van Nuys, since my daughter lives close to there. Any recomendations on RV friendly FBO's at VNY?

Thanks!

there is no friendly FBO at VNY
you can check into Airtel (that's a hotel located at the airport)
recommend you fly into KWHP --5 miles east of VNY

you can get Enterprise car rental picking you up at the airport
if need to rent a car

Transient Parking at SMO

If proximity to Van Nuys is #1 then Whiteman is probably a good choice.

At Santa Monica transient parking is $15/night and fuel is resonable (for the area) at the American Flyers self serve pump down at the approach end of runway 3 on the south west side. I have to admit I'm biased though, it's my home airport.

I can't comment on Whiteman since I've never been there, but I can say that avoiding Van Nuys is probably a good idea. Most of the FBO's there are geared towards the Jet Set. I'm sure fuel is pricey and you'll have to pay a "handling fee" as well as the overnight if you don't take on the minumum amount of fuel. I've never been to Van Nuys either but I'm basing this on my experiences flying into Santa Barbara. It's a great airport but it cost $$$ to stay there.

If you need any local knowledge or ideas for places to fly while you're done here don't hesitate to drop me a PM.

Whiteman it is.

Thanks for the local knowledge. I saw the documentary on VNY on my new HDTV and got all warm and fuzzy. Reality sets in....WHP sounds like a good bet.

VNY

yes 16R was about KVNY. KVNY is a very nice airport but nowaday it is geared towards the jets. it may be convenient and good for local pilots but not friendly towards transient propeller planes.
If you want to catch a glimpse of movie stars and celebrities..hang out at local jet chartered outfits at KVNY a day...guarantee you'll bump into a few

The Busiest

Like many well positioned GA airports VY has turned into a mostly "kerosene" airport. It is also the busiest GA (no airline service) airport in the US. Over 760 operations a day. :eek: I agree that WHP is a better idea for a transient stay.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

I used to fly into VNY

I used to fly into VNY to catch the NASA 7 King Air flight out to the Goldstone Deep Space Network facility. I had no problems or outrageous expense charges at that time. I retired in September of 2004 so things have changed I'm sure but not so much that you can't use the airport. I looked at Flight Guide and saw the the FBO I used is now Clay Lacy and they do not have 100LL fuel, only jet and if I were to plan a flight in there today I would probably go to Millionair.

Bob Axsom

Back