What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual Oil Pressure Transducers

MCA

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Normally, I'm perfectly happy with my single graphical engine monitor. And after flying spam cans, it is certainly a great improvement over what I was used to. Additionally, having redundant engine gauges is overkill IMO. But...

On a recent long cross-country trip with nothing else to do I got to wondering what I would do if the oil pressure dropped to zero. It grew into a thought process greater than expected. I'm not trying to imply this is correct or even rational, just food for thought, and would be interested to hear other comments about the subject.

When the oil pressure drop to zero, the list of possible choices are (in no order):

1. Divert to the nearest airport, knowing the engine may fail at any time. Here in NM and surrounding states, the nearest airport can be 40 miles away.
2. Fly until a "safe" off-field landing spot can be found.
3. Land immediately regardless of terrain. At least you have some choice until the engine stops.
4. Ignore the indication and assume it's a faulty gauge.

Bottom line: none of these options looks very good. The risk of injury from a potentially dangerous off-field landing seems great knowing that you *may* be landing for nothing more than a faulty transducer or loose wiring.

It also seems that none of the other engine instruments require such drastic action if they fail or give erroneous readings. Bad RPM or manifold pressure? Keep going. Bad fuel flow reading? You'll know quickly if that's the case and can always switch tanks. Etc.

Another thought is whether to try and save the engine. Shut it off immediately or keep it running? I've always been taught to keep it running, but those kinds of questions do cross one's mind regardless of how irrational they may seem. And it highlights a difference between a plane you built yourself and one that you bought - does having put all that sweat equity in the plane affect your decision making process? Would you try to save the plane by doing something that may ultimately be riskier that what you would do in a plane you didn't "care" about? One would hope not, but it is certainly something to think through ahead of time. Sure, insurance will pay but faced with building a new plane vs. just going out and buying another Cessna are two different considerations.

To wrap up (finally, this turned out longer than I anticipated), I decided to install a second oil pressure gauge with its own transducer. The logic now is:
1. If one gauge shows zero, assume the gauge/transducer has failed. Continue flying.
2. If both gauges show zero, assume an oil system failure and look for a safe place to land.

The new second gauge is a 1" UMA electric oil pressure gauge, and dual oil pressure transducers are mounted on the oil pressure manifold. One is for the gauge and one is for the EIS/Vertical Power.

Would love to hear some other opinions on the subject...

Good thoughts.

Another possibility is an oil pressure switch and red light.

When the oil pressure goes to zero it's just a matter of a very few minutes before "Bang" a rod will bust a big hole in the case. Not a bad trade off if it gets you to a safe place to put it down unless, the oil from the hole in the case causes a fire.

Been There, Done that....

I am definitely in the "dual oil pressure indication" club! My choice is a gauge (in this case, my GRT system) and a light with a dedicated pressure switch. (Yes, i know that a man with two watches never knows what time it is, but in this case, pressure switches are pretty reliable, LED's are reliable, and it gets "tested" every time I apply power to the airplane.)

I lost an oil cooler hose on my Grumman many years ago - all the oil went down and under the belly, so the first indication I had was when the oil pressure light came on. Without that warning, i probably would have toasted the engine before I saw that old, itty-bitty gauge way over on the right side of the panel....I had time to pull the engine to idle and glide to a nearby runway - engine, airplane and pilot all saved to fly another day.

Most EIS/EFIS's will, of course, now give you a warning as well - but having a dedicated oil pressure switch is pretty cheap insurance!

Paul

There are a number of threads with this topic, which is a good one. My personal preference is a mechanical gauge backup as opposed to a light. If the electronic gauge tells me that the pressure has dropped to 30 or 40, the idiot light won't come on until pressure is a bit lower.

I, too, would prefer redundancy for oil pressure and have been trying to figure out how to do that. I have a DYNON EMS-10. I also have VANS oil pressure transducer which is connected to the engine and to the VANS oil pressure gauge. At the risk of sounding somewhat on the dumb side I was wondering how I might add the DYNON unit to record the oil pressure. I had originally thought that the VANS steam gauge was a good idea in case the DYNON unit failed. I don't think I can place a second transducer on the manifold that is on the firewall. Do I run a line from the manifold and mount the DYNON oil pressure transducer separately? Has anyone out there done this, that is, used a DYNON engine instrument monitor and a traditional steam gauge? Any input would be appreciated.

Peter K
9A

I designed my panel for the red light, which runs off the circuit for the hobbs, from vans. what is cool is the light doubles for leaving the main switch on, last check before leaving the airplane. My D180 has a light warning for the EMS, I have that in yellow next to the D180.

Nothing is more noticeable than a big fat red light in your face. You don't look at gauges that often no matter how good your scan is.

I used a VDO 360 025 combo sender which has a resistive element that reads to 150 psi and a warning contact that closes at 11 psi. That way, I have a warning light and gauge from the same sender which simplifies the plumbing somewhat.

Heinrich Gerhardt

On the B-52 they ran out of room for engine gauges on the panel so the oil pressure gauges were put up overhead along the eyebrow. Out of the scan, they added a low pressure light to draw attention. Still wasn't enough. You could lose #7 and since it wasn't hooked up to a generator or hyd pump you might not notice an engine failure; as one crew did on a low level checkride. Q3.

Wasn't me. :cool:

Low oil level warning would be better

I mentioned this in a thread before. I would like to have a ?low oil level warning?, just like in today?s cars. I guess most zero-oil pressure problems are caused by loss of engine oil. With a low-level indication you will be warned ahead, minutes maybe longer, of the actual low pressure warning, thus giving you more time to get the plane down safely. The low pressure will than act as a back-up or confirmation for the low-level warning. The only thing I found so far, is the switch that mounts instead of the oil drain plug from Aircraft Extra?s. http://www.aircraftextras.com/LowOilSensor.htm

My engine builder, Dachsel Flugmoteren, already told me that the intestines of my engine will be in the way for that switch.

Does anybody know of another way to do this?

Regards, Tonny

Here's a thought for you. Why not use the second transducer to actually do something that's going to give you some real data? Take your second transducer and plumb it to the front end of the oil galley. What that's going to give you is the differential pressure between the front of the engine and the back of the engine a much more diagnostically meaningful number than two gauges reading the same pressure. For those trying to figure out where to put a second transducer, you can use Adel clamps to hang a transducer on the engine mount Vibrationally not great but better than right on the engine.

Back