What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

shop air lines

John Courte

Well Known Member
Hi all,

Getting ready to prime some internal bits, and it looks like I'm going to need to install some permanent compressed air lines around the shop. My experience with compressed air installation consists of putting the compressor in a good spot and hooking up hoses to it, but I need to make it a little more refined than that, I think.

I have a 4-way regulator, a filter, an inline oiler, and a hose reserved explicitly for painting/priming, but now I need to figure out the best way to set everything up. I know the oiler and the paint hose need to be on two
different lines and there should probably be a filter on both oil and oil-free. Is there special steel tubing, flaring tools and flared fittings for this? Can anybody point me to a howto? Can I get the parts at Home Depot/Lowes,
or do I need to go someplace that specializes in automotive repair supplies?

thanks,
-John

Just food for thought...

When I set-up shop a few months ago, I designed (on paper) a system of permanent air lines for the shop. The kit arrived before I could get around to installing it so I bought a hose reel thinking it would be temporary until I got around to installing something permanent. I have been using it for a few months now, and I have pretty much bagged the idea of installing permanent lines. I just pull out a bit of regular hose and attach my lightweight hose (Cleveland Tool Kit) to it... very simple and effective . I have been very happy with this set-up and can't see changing it. I don't use an inline oiler, so I can just drag the same hose to the driveway for priming.

As far as fittings go, I picked up a few 3' whip hoses at Harbor Freight for about $4 each, and I use them to attach the compressor to my wall mounted filter/regulator and then onto to the hose reel. I used standard quick-disconnect air line fittings available almost anywhere to make the system easy to disassemble/reconfigure.

Here is a picture of my set-up...
compressor.jpg

If really must know what the bucket is, go here. :)

Good luck! Happy building!

Last edited:
Keep it simple

I agree with Brad - just pull a bit of hose when you need it. Don't waste time building a complicated compressed air distribution system - use that time to build an airplane!

If you feel you need multiple hook-ups, use 1/2 or 3/4" Schedule 40 PVC pipe. It's rated @ 480 PSI and is easy & cheap to set up.

Derrell
RV7A

Sorry, but I am going to have to STRONGLY disagree with you here. Do not use PVC for airlines, no matter what the rated pressure... PERIOD! There are loads of people who will tell you it is ok to use because *they* have never had a problem. I can say first hand, that when PVC fails, it does so in an explosive manner spraying dagger like shards of plastic all over the place. In short, metal pipes leak, PVC explodes. OSHA cautions (prohibits) using it, and there are many stories of injury from PVC failures, so why risk it? PVC degrades (gets brittle) over time, and all that needs to happen is your kid lets his bike fall against the PVC pipe in the garage, and BOOM!

I have heard about the PVC lines blowing up too.

Back when I was setting up my shop I wrote THIS THREAD in an effort to help you (and others like you) set up yours.

It hyperlinks you out to another forum, but you don't need to be a member to view it.

I like the fact that I don't have lots of hoses hanging around the shop.

Hope this helps!

;) CJ

...and Brad, NICE condensing unit!

One thing I would do is to make a dirt leg for the water to flow into. Perhaps placing a short length of tubing at the "T" where the petcock is to let the water collect in?

Knowwhattamean?

I bet it works well!

:D CJ

Covenience

I don't want to get into the PVC Safety debate, because I think folks that have first-hand knowledge of a pipe shattering are hard to dispute. Personally, when I built my house ten years ago, I plumbed some air lines with 3/4" schedule 40, which also extended underground to provide air at my dock, and never had a line break - but I have had enough glued-on fittings pop off to make me give up.

When I started the RV-8, I simply went to Home Depot and bought a couple of 50' air hoses, T-ed them off the regulator, and ran one down each side of the garage (draped over the rafters) and down to workbench level at each end. I then put a T-on each one, so that I have a QD to plug in 2 coiled air hoses on each side. This is convenient, because I have two sources of air on each side fo the project, and no hoses laying on the floor. It's worked out real well, and I doubt I spent more than $100 for everything. And ....I can pull it all out and take it to the hangar next weekend when the project moves.

I agree with those who say "keep it simple..."

Paul Dye

CJ, thanks! You can't really tell from the pictures, but all the pipes slope to the petcock. It is the low point of the system for the water to collect, if that is what you mean? :)

Ironically, I built this after a humid weekend (humid by our standards), but it has been bone dry since. Its worth has yet to be completely proven but when the rainy season hits, I am sure I will be happy I made it.

PS - I've seen the pics of your set-up before... Nice!

This is great, thanks for the info!

My compressor is very similar to Brad's in configuration and capacity, and the space i have available is about what's pictured there. I think the first thing I'll do is mount a panel on the wall to carry the components and run a short line to them with short lines in between.. Not sure if I'm going to tackle the bucket. I've also got to soundproof it, but for that, I'll probably use Dan C's "compressor in a box" method.

RV7Factory said:
CJ, thanks! You can't really tell from the pictures, but all the pipes slope to the petcock. It is the low point of the system for the water to collect, if that is what you mean? :)

I think what he means is that you need a place for the water to collect. Otherwise you're just blowing water up (and out) the other side once the tube starts to fill up. If you drain it often, it probably isn't an issue though.

PJ

Ah, now I get it!

With 50' of 3/8" refrigeration pipe it would have to be a lot of water to fill it up! :D As you mention, I drain it often and I don't get much water out, at least not this time of the year. What little residual that is pushed downstream is then caught by my wall mounted filter.

Last edited:
YAH!

That's what I meant! Have you ever played a trombone... or trumpet?

:D

Kinda like that if you drain it frequently enough.

:) CJ

Back