What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sick Airspeed Indicator

RV7ator

Well Known Member
Hi, All,

I'd like some first hand (even hearsay!) feedback on the efficacy of repairing the sick Falcon airspeed indicator in my 7. It decided to start showing TASs 15 mph too high, that, upon parking, became a needle stuck off the zero peg about 10 degrees.

What could be wrong?

Is it worth sending these cheapo things to a repair shop, or kick it down the stairwell in hopes of rectification, and if unsuccessful buy another?

John Siebold
Boise, ID

Anybody wanna buy a 180 hp -7 that trues 210 mph @ 70%? Heh, heh, heh.

hearsay

This is a non-scientific response. I consider the airspeed indicator to be the most important instrument on my panel. I had always heard that if the airspeed system was blocked or in error, it would "probably" be on the slow side. In that your airspeed indicator is reading "high", I would get a new one. I am a novice builder and don't feel like troubleshooting a bad AI. 15 mph high turning base to final could ruin your day. Others may give you advice on how to fix it. But, not me. jack

Get what you pay for

RV7ator said:
Is it worth sending these cheapo things to a repair shop, or kick it down the stairwell in hopes of rectification, and if unsuccessful buy another? John Siebold, Boise, ID
Suggest you take it out and test it yourself with a water manometer. If you can get a spare that would be good to assure you pitot static is good. It sounds like a gage problem not a static problem with the needle sticking and if it was OK before and altitude is approx correct than it is the gage. BTW how do you know the airspeed is off? (GPS average of several legs, pace plane)

Second call or bring it to an avionics instrument repair shop and ask them what they recommend. May be they can do a quick (free) bench test. You can google aircraft instrument repair overhaul, and call some large shops around the country and ask them about this (Falcon, hi reading, stuck needle).

My personal experience with overhauling mechanical instruments, is if they are working poorly, they never really seem to work that well after repair, overhaul, again and again. Also instrument overhaul repair is expensive. My guess/opinion is a Falcon is not worth repairing or even even possible.

I have heard of Falcon and gather it is the low cost instrument bottom end of the market. I don't know if Falcon is made in China, but heard that the low cost electric AI's (Falcon?) from China are junk and not repairable.

Call Falcon distributors like Chief and ask them what the deal is, regarding Falcon products. They may have the scoop. Considering they cost is a 3rd to a 4th of what other airspeed indicators cost I guess you get what you pay for. :(

If you get it repaired, and it cost a $100 it may end up not working again down the road, sooner than later. My feeling is get a good airspeed indicator and s-can this one and get a good one. Cheers George

Last edited:
Van's Falcon

Back again -

My opening post fingered Falcon as the manufacturer, who I believe it truly is, but the gauge is Van's offering. Yup, it's worth about as much as I paid for it, the only real draw being the pre-painted V-speed markings appropriate for the -7. I'm toying with selling the electric AH and DG to fund a Dynon, so I could resort to using that as the primary AI. But I do dearly love steam gages for their instant comprehensibility; the full-up Dynon display looks like an amusement park midway to me.

So probably, unless someone has something definitive to suggest about the Falcon, I'll put in something more American sans V-speeds which I know anyway, and take the Falcon apart to see what makes it not tick.

John Siebold

Are you sure you don't have a sick static system? I'd disconnect the static line at the back of the unit and see if the needle unsticks just to be sure it's the instrument.

Steve Zicree

John, Any instrument shop can add the v-speeds to an ASI. Any new and most reguilt ASI can be ordered with your v-speeds painted on the dial for a small charge.
Mel...DAR

Call Wultrad Instruments - they are the importer for Falcon instruments. They can repair everything they sell. I will try to find their number - picked a card up at Osh, but not sure where I put it ... !

John,

I agree with others and determine if the instrument is broken or your static/pitot system has a problem.

However, if the insturment is broken, forget it. My experience is that Falcon stuff is cheap junk. I ordered a UMA from Wicks and asked for my airspeed markings to be added. It was less than $300.

Back