What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tall pilot

xnsxer

I'm New Here
Hello all,
Im 6'2" and was wondering if I would fit in a 3. Are there any RV-3 drivers out there who are tall?

Thanks,

Ed

If you take out the cushion and build one that is only 1" thick you should be fine. I'm 6'1" and have good clearance with a 2" thick seat cushion.

Leg room is no problem?

Ed

I'm 5'11, my Levis are 34X34 and I have my rudder pedals installed at the furthest forward point to still get full pedal travel. This gives me fair knee to panel clearance (stock panel and installation).
Hope this helps
Tom
RV3 978TM

Never too tall

I'm 6'2"" @190lb, no problem with getting in or out. You wear a -3 anyway, so fit is never a problem, I agree with the gentleman, take out padding until you fit. My knee makes a good arm rest for my stick hand.:D

Mike Bauer
RV-3 N87LB flying
RV-4 N742MC building

Depends on how you're proportioned

I'm 6'1", but it's all neck. The RV-8 is the only RV I fit in with normal cushions, and still have enough headroom for headsets. The earlier RV-3 came with a stock canopy already fitted, and I had NO headroom, even without headsets. To fix that problem, I had a taller canopy made by Todd's canopies. http://toddscanopies.com/rv3.htm (top pictures)

Just this afternoon, I ordered another RV-3 canopy from Todd for the new plane, but this time in dark tint, but the same height, and thickness (1/4").

I understand there's some room to adjust the canopy up or down when you're fitting it, but no one could verify how much higher it could be, so I took the safe bet.

Cheers,
Rusty (not ducking at every bump)

Back