What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Workbench Question

Phyrcooler

Well Known Member
For those of you starting on your RV-12 wing kits, how big of a workbench do we need? Are there any recommendations in the plans? I am estimating that each wing should be about 12-1/2 feet long... so assume we need an assembly table of 13 or 14 feet. I have no guess as to how wide to make it functional.

Thanks! DJ

Make the top overhang the sides and inch or two, it will provide a much easier way to clamp down to the table top.

The wings are built primarily on a couple of tall (4 ft or so) saw horses.

Everything else can be built on a 3'X8' work table.

Did you guys really find the locking casters on the work benches sturdy enough in all situations? Nothing worse than a wiggly bench.

Thank you all for the replies. I was curious if (specific to the RV-12) you need a table long enough to lay out the Spar and Ribs. Not sure how you would do this on saw-horses. I was looking at a nice pre-built, 8' long bench at Costco... but I don't think it will be long enough (plus it was a bit expensive :eek:). Maybe I'll build a pair of shorter EAA style benches.

Can anyone advise about the caster issue? I like the idea of being able to move the benches to the side... but I don't want something moving around the shop as you work on it.

Thanks! DJ

My work table was a little bit larger than 4'x8'.

The table surface was a piece of 5/8" particle board. The frame was nothing but a 2x4 rectangle with the inside edges rabbeted to allow the particle board to sit flush. More 2x4's were placed 12" on center across the thing and six legs with bracing (2 ways at the corners and 3 ways in the center) to keep it sturdy.

The reason for the particle board is that it holds clecos much better than plywood or chip board.

Since the particle board surface is held in place only by the rabbited edges of the 2x4's it was easy to pop out and replace after it was drilled with numerous holes halfway through the project.

I don't know if you will have to do as much match drilling on the -12 as is required on the other kits or not but if a good bit is required, you might want to think about a table with a sacrificial top such as described above.

Here's a picture:

Thank you all for the replies. I was curious if (specific to the RV-12) you need a table long enough to lay out the Spar and Ribs. Not sure how you would do this on saw-horses...

Don't be too quick to dismiss the idea of using two sawhorses. I think "rvbuilder2002" has some experience building the only two RV-12's flying! You can Google his name and find out about this work experience.

Can anyone advise about the caster issue? I like the idea of being able to move the benches to the side... but I don't want something moving around the shop as you work on it.

Thanks! DJ

My workbench for my RV-7 is a 12 foot section of a bowling alley and is supported on four very sturdy legs. I devised some 2x4's and some plywood which allows me to install two small hydraulic jacks to lift the table at each end onto casters. It ain't perfect but is good enough to move the table on the few occasions I need to move it. Sorry I don't have photos.

Don

Don't be too quick to dismiss the idea of using two sawhorses. I think "rvbuilder2002" has some experience building the only two RV-12's flying! You can Google his name and find out about this work experience.

My workbench for my RV-7 is a 12 foot section of a bowling alley and is supported on four very sturdy legs. I devised some 2x4's and some plywood which allows me to install two small hydraulic jacks to lift the table at each end onto casters. It ain't perfect but is good enough to move the table on the few occasions I need to move it. Sorry I don't have photos.

Don
Oh... not dismissing the idea of a sawhorse... just not understanding how you would do it on two. It sounds rather inconvenient... but I'd have to see the process. I'll be the newbie builder here starting this summer... so happy to consider all advice! :)

When I was searching for info here on workbenches the other day... I saw (I believe) yours made with a bowling lane... and thought... darn... that is a good idea! I wish I had grabbed some when they tore up a bowling alley in a nearby city a few years ago. Talk about a solid table!

Thanks again for the advice. DJ

Oh... not dismissing the idea of a sawhorse... just not understanding how you would do it on two. It sounds rather inconvenient... but I'd have to see the process.

Lay the spar across the horses, attach the ribs vertically, add the rear spar, bolt in the bellcranks, add the skin.

Build the horses to the height needed. Works for -8 wings. Pretty sure it would work for the -12.

Did you guys really find the locking casters on the work benches sturdy enough in all situations? Nothing worse than a wiggly bench.

Buy good quality castors with rubber wheels. If you still worry put it only on 2 of the 4 legs.

I love my tables, and the one has a sacrificial top, I also have a particle board as described standing loose, that I sometimes put on top of the table when I need to clecko into the table.

Not sure how the 12 is gonne be built, but a nice handy, movable, table with extra storage space is always welcome in a garage.

Regards
Rudi

Back