What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Optical Fuel Sensor Low Fuel Idiot Light

BJohnson

Well Known Member
Does any one have experience or recommendations on optical type sensors that can be installed on the root rib that will power an idiot light in the panel when the fuel level drops below the sensor? I have heard about these but do not have any specifics. It would provide a good level of redundancy on the fuel system.

Thanks,

These looks perfect. I'm going to pick up a pair. Anyone have any experience with these in service?

Is it really needed?

I can see its use and think it is clever, but is it necessary. It is cool and sure it wooks well, but do you really need to add the cost and weight.

Even if I had this device I would still time my tanks: (example):

>Note Hobbs time (X) when you fill up
>42 gal capacity - 8 gal (1 hr) reserve = 34 gal - 1 gal unusable? = 33 gal
>33 gal / 8 gal/hr burn = approx 4hr (conservative)
>When you get to Hobbs (X) + 4 hours = Need fuel​
Time in the tanks is in addition to the tanks fuel level gages and may be even an optional Fuel Flow totalizer (which should be very accurate).

I am not saying that this is not a worthwhile option, but??? builder?s wonder why their plane weights 100lb more than Van's empty weight estimate. Granted it's only $200 and less than 1lb(?), but the lighter the better. G

Last edited:
EI Fuel Gauges

I've got two EI Gauges in my RV-6A. They have two types of indicator systems in each gauge and several modes of operation. Each gauge displays the status of two tanks. I have four tanks that feed independently so that is why I have two gauges. But let me just describe the functions and modes. the gauges have two series of lights starting with green at the top for "full" and degressing down each side of the perimeter until the latter part of the range where they turn yellow and finally the last light is red. When you turn on the master the two lights representing the current fuel levels in the two tanks represented flash on and off brightly until you manually disable the flash function by cycling the built in tank monitor switch. They cannot be ignored and the flash function has to be manually disabled this way each time you turn on the master. This takes care of the completly ignorant of fuel state at startup possibility. In the center of the gauge is a digital representation of the fuel remaining derived from the sender in each tank and you can select left, both or right representation with the switch toggle in the left, middle or right position respectively. If you select the "Right" or "Both" tank display and you are drawing the fuel from the left tank things can get quiet while the display shows fuel remaining BUT the light display for the left tank would have walked down through the green and yellow lights and the left tank RED light will be making your eyes hurt. When that red light comes on you actually still have fuel remaining but it is so alarming you will switch off of that tank and only come back to it if you are down to juggling the "Red" tanks and timeing the burn from each. I always time the burn from each tank regardless of the gauges anyway but if you are just looking for an idiot light the EI gauge provides that as part of the basic gauge. They are sinfully expensive but worth the indulgence in my opinion.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Call me paranoid, but with the all to common and persistant fuel starvation problems, I decided to use four independant methods of monitoring fuel levels. Timing the tanks, using a fuel totalizer, the standard float gauges, and the AE Fuel Gardian.

The AE fuel gardian will cover the failure modes such as incorrectly entering fuel quantity into the totalizer, in flight fuel loss, and just plain inattention to the gauges. I am planning on setting the position to 30 min reserve in each tank.

fuel guardian

Brice
I agree with you. I just finished installing the fuel guardian in my right tank and set the level at 8 gals remaining by hooking the unit up to a 12 volt battery and then gradually filling the tank with water to determine the proper level. The guardian worked as advertised. I am setting the left tank at 1 1/2 gals remaining. I fly planes with lots of idiot lights and like the idea of a backup especially when you get that distracting ATC call or some other event causes you to break your routine. A flashing light in your face gets your attention. If you test your level, don't forget to set an approximate dihedral in the tank, as it does change your positioning of the IR sensor.
Ron
RV9A

First glance through the manual did not call out a specific dihedral. However, scaling from the front view drawing, I caluculated a 4 degree dihedral. Is this what you have?

Guardian

Brice
I used about a 2 1/2- 3 degree angle. I leveled the tank to simulate level flight and propped the end up to represent dihedral.A plastic tube attached to the drain and placed next to the tank will give you the fuel level in the tank. The aircraft extras web site details the procedure. the final levels will be determined when the aircraft is on it's gear and I begin filling the tanks for the first time and the sensors see fuel. My choice was to burn my tanks down evenly for balance and then burn the left tank down to 1 1/2 gals remaining ( light on) switch to the right tank and be warned when 1 hour of fuel remains for my reserve. I measured both position levels on the rib side wall with the plastic tubing so I would only have to do one tank. One of the problems with the higher level , is that you will have to put your sensor toward the leading edge and off the rib stiffener indentation. On the left tank, I will mount my sensor in the removable plate closer to center, so that in a nose down attitude I will have a better representation of fuel remaining.

Ron

Back