What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How much time it too much?

N941WR

Legacy Member
Back before I bought my engine I kept finding high time engines, for example 2200 SMOH and 4100 TT.

The question is ...
Figuring the average TBOH is 2200 hours what point does the engine have too many hours and should just be retired? 4400, 6600, 8800 hours?

I realize that you could replace the entire engine, one part at a time and still call it the same engine. Just looking for some guidance here.

Bill

Bill,
We have overhauled engines with thousands upon thousands of total hours on them. As an engine goes through life and gets overhauled various parts are replaced. As this overhaul process is done several times almost all of the parts in the engine get replaced with something else. So with an engine that has gone through several overhaul cycles it is very unlikely you have many of the original parts it left the factory with still installed. and most of the parts will have various operating total times even though the total time for the engine is much higher. Assuming that each overhaul that the engine went through weas done properly, I personally don't feel that the engine total time since new has any bearing or importance. If the engine has gone through several overhauls that the main objective was to do the minimum and save as much money as possible it could be more expensive to overhaul that particular engine as compared to another where the objective was to do it right at every overhaul. But regardless of what condition core you have, you should be able to overhaul it repeatedly, in the end after several overhaul cycles, only the dataplate will really have the operating hours the log book says is on the engine.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

I thought that might be the answer

Mahlon,

Thanks for the reply. It is like the old story, I have my Great Grandfather's axe. My grandfather replaced the handle and my father replaced head.

Bill

Back