What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iPhone and PMA8000B

ScottSchmidt

Well Known Member
Just wondering if anyone has successfully connected an iPhone to their PS Engineering audio panel. If so, where did you purchase the components for the cable?

I called the factory and they have not tested it with an iPhone.

iphone

Scott,
The iphone has a standard 3.5mm jack for the headphones, just like the ipod. I have not gotten to test it in an airplane yet because the 172 I'm flying does not have a music input. But the Citabria I will be flying when I get my PPL finished does have a music input jack. It has a PS Engineering intercom in it so I'll be interested in what you find out!!:D

Connecting the iphone with the PS, to have music, telephone, and fading music to hear a call, is very easy. Just use a three connector wire and it will do both stereo music and telephone from the front jack.
At first, i made myself a four to three wire, with an inline switch, to switch from music to telephone, since the iphone is four connector and the 8000b three, but finally the iphone does the switching by itself. No need for a special wire.
The music play in stereo, fade for a call to be replaced by the ring, you answer the call on the iphone, push the TEL button on the PS, and you are online. After the call, to return to stereo music, just repush the TEL button.

I am now back to my generation one Bose from the Zulu iphone pairable. Pretty amazed that the iphone can take care of switching the mic to left stereo by itself, from a four connector jack to a three connector plug. Sound quality of the PS Engineering is just perfect, music or phone.

Louis

Update wanted

I have been shopping for cable and adapter to connect my 3Gs iphone with the PMA 8000B. I have been cautioned by Radio Shack that the iphone cannot output to an external unit. Also have read notes on the internet that many headsets do not work with the 3Gs due to proprietary socket.
If the iphone is being successfully used with the 8000B, I would appreciate specifics on the cable and adapter used.
Thanks

Paul Eckenroth
N509RV

iPhone

I've used my iPhone with several different intercoms and a few different direct-input headsets with no problems. I have not tried making a call with it, but the music out function works flawlessly.

Cell phone

The desire is to have the iphone function as a cell phone while using a headset through the 8000B. There is no current need for music.

Paul Eckenroth
N509RV

IPhone in flight

I use a standard minijack cord to connect my Iphone to my music input and it provides inflight entertainment plus I have made an outgoing call to my home, left the dog a message that we were almost home! :rolleyes: When we got to our hangar the playback was very audible, probably because I reduced power to quieten things down for the test.

I have the PMA9000 and use its bluetooth capability to connect my iPhone for sending/receiving phone calls. Works great

Interesting

I'm swapping out a 340 today for the PSE 8000B MP3 unit. I'm sure the iPhone will work fine however the MP3 version has a chip to record music. Unfortunately the instructions say, "the chip does not accept the iTunes format." So, if I use it to hold music, I'll have to transition the music to another format.

Back