What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Check Those Bubble Levels!

Jamie

Well Known Member
The last few days I've been trying to get my fuselage level so I could drill the aft deck to the longerons of my -7A. I would check at the 704 (spar carry-through) and would set it level, then go to the back and pull out the twist at the deck. When I would go back and check the 704, it would be out of level again. I kept pulling my hair out...trying to figure out what was going on...I mean...the 704 was sitting on the sawhorse so it wasn't MOVING...so how could it be getting out of level?

Well, I got inspired and turned the level around 180 degrees and yep...the level was reading level one way and ~ 2 degrees off the other way. I've never done that much carpentry work before so this may be something that carpenters always check for.

At any rate, I went to the store and bought another level (but first checking to make sure it read the same in every orientation!) and everything worked out beautifully.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been a carpenter for about 30 years now. You explained perfectly how to select a new level. Set it down anywhere and note the reading. then turn it 180 degrees and see if it reads the same. If it does, then you have a level that reads accuratly. Now do the same with the plumb vials. If you can find one that reads well with both plumb vials then buy it. I will tell you that it is quite difficult to find a level that has all three vials that are accurate.

steve ciha

In my business, I have to occasionally set up and/or verify "dead level" on certain heavy machinery tables. For that purpose, I use a Starrett #199 Precision Level which is far more sensitive than the typical carpenter's variety.
You check it just as described by turning it around, but it has adjustment screws where you can set it and forget it once you've calibrated it.
When this sucker says you're level, you're LEVEL.

It works like a charm, so if you feel the need to buy one more tool for the RV project, do an Ebay search with the term "Starrett Precision Level" and you'll be wading in 199's.
Oh yea, they come in a really nice wood box so the craftsmen among us (all of us?) will appreciate how nice the box looks on a shelf while not using the level. ;)

I did this last week and used a couple of plumb bobs and a level that I've had for about 25 years. I've seen a bunch of Web sites where folks have used what seems like u.s. spy satellite equipment to make sure things are level.

I plopped the old level on there...the bubbles were pretty much centered. Check the plumb bob with a -- hey, get this ! -- the naked eye. Close enough.

Is it perfectly level? Beats me...I just used plumb bobs and old bubble levels.

Like the old-timers.

Bob Collins said:
I've seen a bunch of Web sites where folks have used what seems like u.s. spy satellite equipment to make sure things are level...

Don't tell my wife that my gyro-enhanced, GPS-stabilized, satellite-tracking level isn't 100% necessary. The digital levels may be over-kill, but they sure are fun!

Water levels

If you really want to go old school, use a water level. Your only cost would be for about 10-15 feet of clear tubing, and the accuracy is actually extremely good. Instructions on how to use a water level are all over the internet. Why you'd want to give up the chance to buy another tool is beyond me though! :D

Dave,

Have to agree with you. While at Osh this year I bought the digital level. Told the wife I couldn't justify it in any way, shape or form, other than it was cool. She said she knew I would get one when I first saw it on "From the Ground Up" before I even started building. :)

Take care,

Jim

Davepar said:
Don't tell my wife that my gyro-enhanced, GPS-stabilized, satellite-tracking level isn't 100% necessary. The digital levels may be over-kill, but they sure are fun!

Back