What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Music Jack

Steve Sampson

Well Known Member
I assume this is a music jack.

My question is how do folk normally mount it. I am at a bit of a loss and PSEngineering basically said "beats me". Anyone got any ideas? I cant be the first.

Also what fits it? A 1/8" plug?

thanks, Steve.

Last edited:
It looks like

From your picture, it looks like the music input jack for your intercom. Mount it in the corner of your panel somewhere and plug your Ipod into it. It should take a male 1/8" stereo plug.

Steve,

It sure looks like a music jack but check your manual.

Nora and I use our iPod almost every flight.

I assume this is a music jack.

My question is how do folk normally mount it. I am at a bit of a loss and PSEngineering basically said "beats me". Anyone got any ideas? I cant be the first.

Also what fits it? A 1/8" plug?

thanks, Steve.

I'm not sure how much detail you're looking for, but the serrated ring is a nut that holds the jack in place. Remove the nut, find a drill bit that will give you a clearance hole for the threads, and put a hole in some convenient sheet metal. Basically in mounts just like the headset jacks.

I put mine in the right gear tower of my RV-8. Look for a convenient spot to place an iPod or other music source, and consider where you want to route the cable. You'll need a nominal 1/8" cord with two male ends (a standard stereo headset jack).

The default behavior of the PS Engineering stuff is for the music (or other audio) to play in the headphones, but immediately squelch out when there is radio or intercom traffic.

Depending on your headsets, intercom settings, and other factors, many people complain that the output from iPods or the Garmin XM radios is too low. It can be boosted with a small inline amplifier or (preferably) an impedance matching device. There should be info on the archives.

FWIW I've never found the add-on "boosters" to be necessary, using a quiet technologies headset.

........... but the serrated ring is a nut that holds the jack in place. Remove the nut, find a drill bit

Thanks! I had completely missed the fact that it does unscrew. I tried too gently. End of issue!

Last edited by a moderator:
Who did the wiring harness? And which model of PS intercom is it attached to? If you can figure out where it is wired to on the intercom backplane, you can get the installation diagrams online from PS Engineering. Below are a couple of 1images of my PMA6000M-C installation:

music_input.jpg

music_input2.jpg

The second picture shows the jack in use; I've got a Nomad at the other end of that cable so that I can listen to music while I work on the systems. Notice that Aerotronics also wired the optional music mute disable switch (right above the input jack), and also made provision for a 12V power supply. I'm actually intending to let the passenger use a car DVD player, plugged into the intercom and running off the power supply.

Steve,
As you now know, that is an aux music input. If your intercom is a stereo model, this jack will be, too. When we build up a PS Engineering harness at SteinAir, we label it "aux music" or "aux input". I'm surprised PS Engineering couldn't help you. We've found their tech support very good.

Personally, I like to take a cheap AM/FM radio with me and tune in local FM stations if I'm CC. I get a taste of local politics, and opinions, and tunes as I travel. I get a 4-5' 1/8" x 1/8" male plug from Radio Shack and plug it into the music input and I'm good to go. No amplifier needed. Maybe I'm too cheap to buy an IPod. ;)

Last edited:
Back