What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rocketizing an RV-3

treeman

I'm New Here
how come no one ever talks about rocketizing a -3 wouldn't it be cool say climb at 4000 fpm an crusie at 250 ? just thinkin out loud

The first Rockets were modified RV-3's and they did go like snot.

The deal is the same as that for the RV-3 vs. -4, most people want to bring someone along for the ride. Thus there is a bigger market for the HR II than for the HR I.

The Harmon Rocket I was indeed an RV-3 with an IO-360 in it, details here. Indeed, it'd be pretty easy to fit a parallel valve 360 in one. Frankly though, after flying mine around with a healthy IO-320 and a c/s prop, I'm not sure why you'd want to.

There isn't much room for a weight increase and still use the original gross wt. Clipping the wings would reduce the bending moments but after seeing the quality of my QB wings I'm not sure I'd have the heart to cut them.
How about a single seat -4 with a -3 canopy, HR firewall and cowl, 0-540.
Like the Exxon Tiger ?
Mike

There isn't much room for a weight increase and still use the original gross wt. Clipping the wings would reduce the bending moments but after seeing the quality of my QB wings I'm not sure I'd have the heart to cut them.
How about a single seat -4 with a -3 canopy, HR firewall and cowl, 0-540.
Like the Exxon Tiger ?
Mike

You're describing a Harmon Rocket III, but you're hitting on an idea that has been in my head for a while too... a single place RV-4 with the Rocket II wing but with an IO-360 to keep it lighter.

This a dangerous process, the same thing happened with my RV-3... I had it in my head the whole time I was building my RV-8. It finally got the best of me and I had to do it and am now flying the result (and lovin it!). Still, I can see the RV-4 derivative described above clearly. It would take some creativity to configure the pilot station and controls, but after building two other RVs maybe I could/should, ya think? Oops, better stop thinking like that! ;-)

I think...YES
If you could find a 4 project at the QB stage and move the firewall back...

But then, with the new 8 kits being so good, how about a single place 8 ?
Move the firewall and the front seat back, the gear towers would be an issue but with the new firewall position maybe a HR motor mount and gear legs could be used....
I need to get back to 3 fuselage skinning

Back