What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV & CAP

Capflyer

Well Known Member
Maryland is a small state in size but it takes forever to drive anywhere so twice so far I have flown my RV to a CAP activity. This time it was for something really fun. Rather than spend 3 hours of driving through rush hour traffic to get to the pick-up zone it was a perfect mission for the RV. In the RV it is barely a 15 minute flight from Gaithersburg KGAI to Ft. Mead KFME.

Next month the Maryland Wing (MDWG) and West Virginia Wing are doing a combined SAREX (Search and Rescue Exercise) in the mountains of WV. The plan for the SAREX is the MD National Guard to fly out 60 MDWG GTM's & GTL's (Ground Team Members & Ground Team Leaders) in 7 Blackhawks to W99, Petersburg, WV then fly them home two days later. They are excited to do a training exercise with passengers and everyone is excited that most of the 60 going will be Cadets. About 50 Cadet GTM's aged 12 & up getting a couple of hours of flight time in Blackhawks through the mountains. Now how cool is that?

Our mission on Wednesday was to ride along with the chopper recon crew to be sure they have their landing zones set up ahead of time at both airports, speak to the airport managers, and check fuel availability. Being the A3 Operations Officer for my Group, I was one of the lucky ones asked to ride along.

So, to tally my paltry 65 RV hours, I've done the 40hrs of test flying, tons of IFR practice approaches, a few aerobatic lessons, and two CAP missions. I love this bird!

http://picasaweb.google.com/capflyer071/RVBlackhawkToW99

Mike that is great and thanks for being there when and if we need you. Let's hope that day never comes!

My airport in Photo

Mike,

Thanks for your posting and the photos. W99 petersburg is my home base. I can see the cars of Roy (CAP CO) and Larry (FBO) in you photo. :cool:

As a member of CAP (W99) I know how much time is required. Thank you!

Best of all, for me, is your RV and CAP situation. When I "grow up" I want to be doing the same things. :D

Thanks again, Dan

Back