What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dremel Recommendations.....????

txaviator

Well Known Member
So, there I was tonight working on the 'glass tips for my horizontal stabilizer, and my old faithful Dremel took a dump on me. After tearing it apart, I found a bad part inside that essentially connects the motor to the shaft. Anyway, I figure I don't have the patience to wait for a replacement part and since this is 15-years old, could probably use a new one anyway.

Question???? Which Dremel tool do ya'll recommend? If it is a model that I can score at Home Depot or Lowes, that would be a plus (I have birthday gift cards from both stores)! I know multiple models are available now, since I bought my "state-of-the-art variable speed model" in 1990.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Last edited:
Gary, Get one that is on sale and comes with LOTSA BITS!

The ones I use the most are:

Carbide side cutter (INVALUABLE to the airplane builder!)
Abrasive wheels for straight cuts
Drum sanders

Next to a rivet squeezer, it is probably my most used tool!

;) CJ

I had a Variable speed one that failed eventually. I replaced it with a two speed one since I rarely used slow speeds. The low speed is fine for that type of work.

JMHO

Roberta

The Pencil Grinder....who knew?

txaviator said:
................Which Dremel tool do ya'll recommend?.............Any suggestions are appreciated!
Gary
Psst! One of the best kept secrets in aviation.....the "pencil grinder." I cannot count how many mechanics I have introduced this obscure tool to over the years. My pencil grinder of choice is a Dotco. I consider this tool so utilitarian, so essential, so convienient that I have two in my collection. Very comfortable in the hand and feels like you are holding a small cigar. They can be surprisingly affordable, though I really cannot comment on the quality of the cheapies (just type in pencil die grinder in search mode on eBay) and using relatively small amounts of air at very high speed are compressor friendly. Use one of these puppies and you'll never again look at the common Dremel in quite the same way.
355ks.jpg

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla" 66 hours
RV-8A empennage complete

Last edited:
I have had several of the more expensive dremel tools and now on my 2nd RV, I have found that the cheapo Black and Decker, 3 speed dremel tool, ($29 at Home Depot or Walmart) is holding up better than any of the Dremel or Craftsman brand rotary tools that I had.
Since you have already had the other ones, I assume you already have most of the little specialty tool ends, but the basic ones I use are the cut off wheel (Dremel reinforced cut off wheels come 20 to a pack and work great.) and the sanding drum. (At Home Depot, you can get 6" long sanding drums in packs of ?? and cut them to the appropriate length on your band saw. This is a LOT cheaper than buying a pack of Dremel sanding drums.)

This is the new hot ticket in Dremels. Lithium Battery powered and I have personally used it and it is awesome. Very powerful and cordless. But with any of the Dremels you must accessorize to fit your needs. I have used the 90 degree attachment, router attachment, and flex shaft many times while building my RV. The tungsten bits are excellent for trimming and cutting holes in tight places. I found that using the solid Boelube on these bits keeps them from clogging when cutting aluminum.

dremel-store_1854_95098

On a related note...

While cruising the Costco tool isle the other day I came across a monstor sized box of rotary tool bits for around $20. Didn't buy it, but it looked like a pretty good deal.

Dremel

I have burned up two of the brand name "Dremel" during heavy grinding on the canopy. I guess I am a slow learner. I really like the utility of the tool but I would stay away from heavy continues grinding. I will probably buy a pneumatic tool instead.

Ulf RV8A

B & D

sf3543 said:
I have had several of the more expensive dremel tools and now on my 2nd RV, I have found that the cheapo Black and Decker, 3 speed dremel tool, ($29 at Home Depot or Walmart) is holding up better than any of the Dremel or Craftsman brand rotary tools that I had.
Since you have already had the other ones, I assume you already have most of the little specialty tool ends, but the basic ones I use are the cut off wheel (Dremel reinforced cut off wheels come 20 to a pack and work great.) and the sanding drum. (At Home Depot, you can get 6" long sanding drums in packs of ?? and cut them to the appropriate length on your band saw. This is a LOT cheaper than buying a pack of Dremel sanding drums.)
I agree, I've gone thru 2 dremels....including 2 rebuilds under warranty, so far the B & D has been at least as good (3 speeds) and a heck of a lot cheaper. I bought mine on sale at the HD for under $20. Heck, the shipping for repairs almost cost that much.
Kaycee

Dremel-Lithium

Without question get the Lithium battery Dremel. I got one of the first units and have been very happy with it. I still keep a regular one around for the heavier stuff but rarely use it.

The only drawback to the Lithium version is it is not compatible with some of the accessories for the cord version, i.e. the drill press and router attachment. Probably not a factor for RV building but is for my RC habit.

I wrote a review for Model Aviation (Soaring column) and was later contacted by Dremel Public Relations. I asked them why they just didn't make it round so it work with ALL of the tools? They didn't really have a good answer. I kinda think the "think tank" folks short circuited on this one.

Definitely my choice for everyday use.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ

Back