What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Builder Assist Programs for the RV-12?

JerryG150

Well Known Member
After I write a check on April 8, 2008 at Sun 'n Fun (I'm in Sarasota, FL, only 90 minutes away by car) and airplane parts start arriving at my home ... a "builder's assistance program" might be next in order. Obviously, none of the "assistance programs" mention or hint of the RV-12. One even suggested I buy an RV-9A instead. Ain't gonna happen!

Since I won't be bucking rivets, will benefit from matched prepunched holes, no deburring or dimpling, minimum number of parts, minimum fiberglass work and hopefully it's going to be an easy build with great detailed instructions and drawings ... do you RV-12 enthusiasts and "repeat offenders" think a "builder assist" program is needed for a first time builder? :confused:

Do I need to get "lessons"? :confused: Should I build the empennage in a classroom somewhere? :confused: Two weeks to taxi? :confused: I don't want to wait for a quickbuild ... and can't afford the SLSA, if and when Van offers the "pick it up & fly it home" version.

maybe a standard class

I'm not that familiar with the 12 specs. Even though prepunched, matched hole, I would think that there would be some drilling, fluting, deburring and dimpling. You may have to fabricate, bend and shape some parts also. Even if you are not doing a standard kit like the 6-9, I would think a sheet metal class or the RV class would be helpful and get you a good jumpstart. It will be interesting to hear and see how fast the 12 goes together.

gang buildfare

Without a 51% amateur build requirement ala RV-3to10, I imagine the 12 will go together pretty quick. In fact, I can see groups of 'em springing up. As they are (supposed to be) certified, there won't be any deviation from the standard allowed, so it would be real easy to get a few people together and get after it. Having said that, it can only help the finished quality of the airplane to have experienced people involved or available. Find someone like that in your area and get with it.

My guess is that step number 1 would be to get a copy of the preview plans from Vans (I'm hoping they have those ready by SnF) and study those. If it's true that they're including such things as wiring harnesses in the kit, you may find it easier and faster to just get the kit as soon as you want and start building. Plus that way you can brag about having the first -12 in your town :)

repeat offender

I admit to being a repeat offender, several times. I too am looking forward to the RV-12, and I too will suggest taking a class or working with some one experienced building your tail feathers. IMHO the tail feathers are the hardest part so getting help and learning on those will make the rest of the aircraft easy.

I can hear it now! "it's the canopy that is the hardest!" I say "NO" the canopy is a work of art and a thing of beauty when done right.

Builder Assistance

Jerry,

I run builder training workshops here in Australia. I think the big advantage
from these is your level of confidence - you'll have been there; done that.
There are a few tricks but most of the procedures are straight forward
and can be perfected with practice - like any skill. My clients
sum it up with, 'I'm glad I made these mistakes on my practice piece
rather than my aircraft.' I would at least get some experience under your
belt while awaiting your kit. Check with your local builders and EAA
chapter.

Good building and thanks for all the photos.

Cheers,

Sam
RV-6
F-1

Jerry,

Before building:
It would be great to have a builder preparation course that could also fulfill the training required for LSA maintenance. Maybe instead of buiding the tail, we could build a wing.

Right before first flight:
A course that addressed: 1) tuning and servicing of the Rotax, 2) first flight/test flight preparation, and 3) trimming the flight controls.

-Dave

Jerry

Jerry,

I do not advertise RV12 help here at www.RVCentral.US .,,, I have not gotten my hands on one yet?? I can help..

If you need some instruction or help I am willing to travel to you,,,, or better... you,,, have your kit sent here via Partain Delivery and we build your airplane here.

I have all the tools you need and that saves you buying them. We have Avery Tools on the field and Doug Reeves and Danny King real close. So we can get answers to any Questions we have. Grady is painting at Dougs, field ,, 52F. Mel is on call to do your airworthiness certificate. Things happen in a shorter time here. There is a reason people bring their RV kits here.

Bring your kit and WE will have it flying in record time. I want to do a RV 12

Last edited:
Back