What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 project Startup.

Ivan Kristensen

Well Known Member
I am in the research stage of an RV-10 building project. I am located in Guelph and would like to hear from all you RV-10 builders in Ontario whom I may be able to visit and contact for help, advice and information from time to time.

I am a first time builder so I have many questions. To start with what is the best and most cost effective way to get this kit into Canada?

When ordering tools, could someone give me a few do's and dont's in this this regard.

Does anyone know of a partialy completed kit sitting for sale?

Sincerely,

Ivan kristensen

Welcome

Welcome to the force!!!!

Lots of good info to be had here, I would suggest you get familiar with the search function.

Hi Ivan

You wouldn't be the famous (at least in the Canadian model airplane world) R/C Pattern flyer Ivan would you ?

BTW, you are going to love that airplane when it is done;-)

Cheers

Famous? I don't know about that, infamous might be more like it but you got the right guy....

Ivan.

Cool. I've seen you fly many times, although the last time might have been in the eighties at one of the ducted fan events near Belleville.

Eighties??!!! Man, I'm getting old....

Anyway, I think you will enjoy the -10. I've yet to fly in one, but I have seen the kit and sat in the cockpit mock-up that Vans brings to Oshlosh. It is outstanding.

Welcome aboard...

Hi Ivan,
I'm in Cayuga, south of Hamilton, and ordered a RV-3 kit. Vans deals with ABF Freight as a shipper. They have a yard in Tonowanda, its literally 10 minutes past the border using the QEW Niagara. It was worth the $500 I saved by going to pick it up there versus Toronto. Bringing it across was also easy, have the receipt and pay the tax, 10 minutes.
I hope this helps
Good luck
Mike

Very Cool!!

I've watched you fly for years Ivan...going way back to the T.O.C. in Vegas...Welcome to FULL scale building!!!

Hi IVAN:
There is a nice fellow at YKF who is building an RV 10. His name is Wayne an is building the quick build version. Wayne is a member of the RAA chapter there. He would be a wealth of knowlege for you.
I also hanger my plane at NC4. Is that were you keep your plane?
best regards
Paul

Hi Ivan,
I'm in Cayuga, south of Hamilton, and ordered a RV-3 kit. Vans deals with ABF Freight as a shipper. They have a yard in Tonowanda, its literally 10 minutes past the border using the QEW Niagara. It was worth the $500 I saved by going to pick it up there versus Toronto. Bringing it across was also easy, have the receipt and pay the tax, 10 minutes.
I hope this helps
Good luck
Mike

Thank Mike that is good information and I expect I will do the same when it comes time to order the Fuselage and wings.

Ivan.

I should have mentioned Ivan, that the tail kit was small enouph to come Purolator. They have a depot near the 403 in Burlington where I picked it up.
cheers
Mike

Very Cool!!

I've watched you fly for years Ivan...going way back to the T.O.C. in Vegas...Welcome to FULL scale building!!!

Thanks Rick< I am excited to get started on this project!

Where are you loated and are you flying the 10 already?
Ivan

Thanks guys for the help and advice received so far, it is greatly appreciated.
I have now received my empennage kit from Van's and a tool kit from Avery.

Both items I had delivered to a friends place just south of Columbus Ohio where I picked it up and brought it back through customs my self. It all fit into my Honda Odyssey mini van very nicely and clearing it through cutoms was a non issue, just make sure you have a copy of the invoice and can pay the taxes.

I am not quite ready to begin building just yet as I am in the process of setting up my garage as a suitable workshop for this project.

I plan to post some pictures on the net as I go, will post here when I get the site ready

Ivan.

Thanks guys for the help and advice received so far, it is greatly appreciated.
I have now received my empennage kit from Van's and a tool kit from Avery.

Both items I had delivered to a friends place just south of Columbus Ohio where I picked it up and brought it back through customs my self. It all fit into my Honda Odyssey mini van very nicely and clearing it through cutoms was a non issue, just make sure you have a copy of the invoice and can pay the taxes.

I am not quite ready to begin building just yet as I am in the process of setting up my garage as a suitable workshop for this project.

I plan to post some pictures on the net as I go, will post here when I get the site ready

Ivan.

Hi Ivan, there are definitely builders around Columbus OH with RV-10's if you are ever in that area again. Make sure you hit Oshkosh this year. I bet there will be close to 50 RV-10's show up.

Check you PM.

Summit III

Ivan I still have a Summit III kit from back in the '90's. Never did get around to putting it together.

Hi Ivan, there are definitely builders around Columbus OH with RV-10's if you are ever in that area again. Make sure you hit Oshkosh this year. I bet there will be close to 50 RV-10's show up.

As Scott mentioned, there are several of us in the area. Next time you're down this way, stop in and say hello. We've got one flying and three in the build phase.

If you really want to get motivated, come camp with the RV-10 group in Camp Scholler at Airventure.

Hi Ivan,

I am in the planning stages of building an RV10.

Tools will be here soon followed by the empennage later in July!

All the best with your project, keep us posted on the progress.

Thanks,

Sebastian
Dieppe, New Brunswick, Canada

Hey, I know you!

Is this Ivan (Team Futaba) Kristensen???
Hey, it's Kevin Schlosser (Formerly: Aircraft International).
I'm gearing up for an RV-10 as well!
If you're who I think you are, please PM me wen you get this :)

I am in the research stage of an RV-10 building project. I am located in Guelph and would like to hear from all you RV-10 builders in Ontario ..... <snip>....
Sincerely,
Ivan kristensen

Back