What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

KRMG Rome, Georgia, March 20th

Alex:

I live in Suwanee, GA and fly out of Lawrenceville, GA but I grew up in Rome (almost literally at the airport) and am in and out of there all the time to see family so I have lots of contacts there. I don't really know anyone with hangar space though. RMG has one of the nicest county run FBOs you'll ever see. Nothing extravagant, but neat and clean and very reasonably priced self serve 100LL for the area.

What brings you to Rome?

Jamie,

Thanks. Nothing special brings us to plan Rome as a stop. I usually do the MN - South FL run in one day, which was to be Friday, but the current forecasts show a bit of cruddy weather in MN for Friday, so we may split Thursday afternoon and go partway. I used to like to stop in LaGrange, but their fuel prices, which have historically been very good, aren't lately. Plus, it is always fun to go new places.

I certainly don't need hangar space, but I just was curious if there were any RV's at the airport.

Alex,

Can't think many RVers in RMG - although there are a few. Rex Puckett has one under construction. He's based at RMG. Our strip is about 10 miles south. Taylorsville, GA. Also several RV guys in Cartersville - VPC.

Alex,

Rome is home of EAA 709. We have 3 RV's being built by members, 2 - 8's, 1 - 7. John and I are both approaching engine run & paint on our 8's. Chris has completed his emp and is assembling his wings on the 7.

Weather is poor today, but forecast for great tomorrow.

Give me a call.

Rex Puckett, 706-331-0158

Rome is a good choice, but Calhoun, which is 15 miles farther east is very experimental friendly and has gas prices that are competitive with Rome. While Calhoun is a smaller town, the airport is much closer to town than the one in Rome. It might be more convenient depending on your ground transportation situation.

I'd drop by and say hello, but SWMBO and I are taking the RV to Emory Texas Thursday afternoon...

Kyle, thanks for the tip. That does look like a better choice, hotels closer.

Rex, thanks for the phone number - we'll see where we end up!

Moultrie

Alex,
I don't know if you've departed yet, but I would recommend you consider a stop at Moultrie, GA if it's not too far out of the way. It's about 40 miles east of Bainbridge. The FBO there (Eagles of America) is top notch in my opinion. I can't vouch for the motels there but there is at least one 8 miles away in Moultrie per AirNav.
Have a good trip to sunny Florida.
Don

Don, thanks. Didn't get logged in until now, sitting in a fleabag in Bainbridge. Had a monster tailwind day - 195 to 211 knots ground speed on 7.3 gph! Six hours Minneapolis to Bainbridge, take off to landing. I think it was around 950 n.m., so even with one fuel stop we did very well. Gotta love these RV's!

Speeds

Alex:

Came from Austin, TX. to N.E. Georgia today. Comeing across the Alabama Border---Rome, Ga. ATL area, I saw winds out of 320-350 at 60 Kts. at 13.5k Only a quartering tail for me but it sure helped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Only saw 190-210 kts GS.!!!!!!!!

Alex:

Came from Austin, TX. to N.E. Georgia today. Comeing across the Alabama Border---Rome, Ga. ATL area, I saw winds out of 320-350 at 60 Kts. at 13.5k Only a quartering tail for me but it sure helped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Only saw 190-210 kts GS.!!!!!!!!

Funny enough, we were going exact opposite direction against those winds. We stayed low, in turbulence, to avoid most of it. Used a low power setting too, 2300 rpm, 23 in of MP, to minimize the bumps. Despite that, we still hit 2.5 and -1 on the 'ol G meter.

3.75 hours from Cartersville, GA to Sulphur Springs TX. Probably touring the Legend Cub facility today.

Back