What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 (A) Spar Modification

Geico266

Well Known Member
I'm looking at a flying RV-3 that has had the spar mods (both) done (by an independent A&P) per the log book. Does that make it an RV-3A automatically? What does RV-3A1 mean? What has to be done to have the model changed with the FAA to RV-3A? Is that necessary for acrobatics even if the mods are done? If the mods are completed and signed off by an A&P does anything else have to be done paperwork wise? If the mods are done, can the plane now be flown acrobatically?

Mel! Help! :eek:

This is not about a tri-gear from tail dragger modification. ;)

Last edited:
It depends entirely on the operating limitations for your particular aircraft. They are always the controlling document.
If I remember correctly, the "A" mods still had problems. I believe you need the "B" mod to qualify for acro.
Some one correct me if I'm wrong. Otherwise I'll have to do research.

Last edited:
Good luck Larry!

The knowledge base of folks left at the factory on the 3's has ran very thin. I doubt any of the spar mods where actually tested, but I could be wrong. While I found several folks at Van's willing to help me when I was looking to buy an older 3, hard answers where not to be found. Let us know how things go.

While I found several folks at Van's willing to help me when I was looking to buy an older 3, hard answers where not to be found. Let us know how things go.

It sounds like they have abandoned the 3 after a bandaid patch was found for a weak spar. Not encouraging for older 3's.

It sounds like they have abandoned the 3 after a bandaid patch was found for a weak spar. Not encouraging for older 3's.

There are a lot of them flying out there with no problems so I would not necessarily say that it was a weak spar design, just not as robust as their other designs. Van's makes it very attractive to upgrade to the new QB-Bwings at something like half price for existing 3's. Still a lot of work to retrofit them.

That is good to know. That may be the way to go then. If both mods were done and signed off in the log books, and a test pilot flew acro and signed it off, I'm assuming the plane is safe for sport acrco? I just want to do some loops & rolls.

I don't think I'd put it quite like that. Van's sells very few RV-3's, so it isn't exactly a money maker. It would probably make good business sense to scrap the RV-3 altogether, but instead, they continue to offer them.

For support of the older RV-3 wings, they offer free spar mod kits, and they've even designed a completely new -B wing, that can be retrofitted (a big job) to the old plane. They even offer a huge discount on retrofit wings sold for existing projects or flying aircraft. Doesn't sound like they've abandoned it to me :cool:

There is a problem with RV-3 specific tech support though, and that's also understandable. The folks who were supporting the RV-3 originally are mostly gone, and the new guys have never built one. They probably answer 250 questions for the new models for every one they get about an RV-3. I've never talked to a Van's support person who hasn't tried their best to get an answer, though sometimes there just is no good answer.

Cheers,
Rusty (should be working on mine right now)

wing mod

Yes, you can fly acro in a -3 with a "a" wing. My father did it for 19 years. He did it all, hammerheads, loops, rolls, cuban 8's. :eek: (sorry Mel) If I understand the story correctly, the reason for the mod was, some pilot tried to pull too many g's, and folded the wings, so Vans came up with the spar mod, which was tested before being sent out. I have total faith in the -3, "a", or "b" wing.:D So in my mind there is noi reason to shy away from an older -3, their just like an old dog, they can still do the tricks.

Mike Bauer
RV-3 N87LB 20 years flying

I know with neither mod, the airplane is restricted to 4.4gs. I wasn't sure if the "A" mod got it back to 6 gs or not.

If your early model 3 has the rear spar attached to an angle riveted to the fuselage I would not recomend any form of aerobatics. If the fuselage has a rear spar carythrough and the edge distance on the rear spar attach points are good and your spar was built to spec you should
be ok. Lots of ifs in that statement. A lot of the early spar failures were due to the rear spar attach point failing first and then it was just a chain reaction.
YMMV
Tom RV3

Last edited:
Back