What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

UMA Electric Tach Cable Firewall Pass Through?

jsharkey

Well Known Member
I am running the pre-made cable for my UMA electric tach. It has relatively large connectors on each end. Any suggestions for getting it through and sealed in the firewall without cutting and re-splicing it?

The connectors are too big to fit through the standard Van's type plastic bushings used for other pass throughs and which are then gooped with high temperature RTV.

Jim Sharkey
RV6 Wiring etc

Tach Cable

I am running the pre-made cable for my UMA electric tach. It has relatively large connectors on each end. Any suggestions for getting it through and sealed in the firewall without cutting and re-splicing it?

The connectors are too big to fit through the standard Van's type plastic bushings used for other pass throughs and which are then gooped with high temperature RTV.

Jim Sharkey
RV6 Wiring etc
Jim,
This is what I used, worked great, no splice.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/eyeballfw.php
Mike H 9A/8a

Thanks. That's what I'll probably use. Just seeing if there were any Yankee Ingenuity, home builder type solutions out there first:D

Jim Sharkey
RV6

Here is what I did. It follows the simple, light, cheap and effective mantra. Hope it helps someone else.
Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Wiring etc

Drill 3/4" hole in firewall - big enough for UMA cable fitting and 1" OD, 3/16" ID rubber grommet. Also install #8 nut plates to mount fire shield.
cableholeoi4.jpg

Slit grommet at angle per AC43.13-1B to fit over cable.
grommethz3.jpg

Fit grommet and cable in hole with grommet slit to the top per AC43.13-1B.
cablext6.jpg

Install split fire shield from Van's over grommet. I'll goop everything with high temp RTV before completion.
fireshieldsc6.jpg

Back