What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A New APRS Website?

enielsen

Well Known Member
I'm considering building a Google Map/Earth tracking page that is aircraft specific. Here's your chance to post your wants and wishes. Here is a start:

-Google Map/Earth interface.
-Collect only 'registered user/callsign' info from APRS core.
-Flight notifier - Allow for SMS, cell phone or email notification of a new packet/flight on the ?watch list?.
-Allow ?Tracker-pilots? to go-private and disable, from the proposed page. Can?t do anything about aprs.fi or other sites obviously.
-Unlimited history/storage of packets/flights ? since we?d only be storing member/aircraft data. At some point, there will have to be a limit but that will depend upon how many people sign up.

So... bring on the ideas...

-erik

I'm considering building a Google Map/Earth tracking page that is aircraft specific. Here's your chance to post your wants and wishes. Here is a start:

-Google Map/Earth interface.
-Collect only 'registered user/callsign' info from APRS core.
-Flight notifier - Allow for SMS, cell phone or email notification of a new packet/flight on the ?watch list?.
-Allow ?Tracker-pilots? to go-private and disable, from the proposed page. Can?t do anything about aprs.fi or other sites obviously.
-Unlimited history/storage of packets/flights ? since we?d only be storing member/aircraft data. At some point, there will have to be a limit but that will depend upon how many people sign up.

So... bring on the ideas...

-erik

Ideas.... heck I think you cornered the market with the above. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do this project, I think it will be a HOT site. Plus I was just telling my wife how cool it is that anytime she is worried, or I am am running a little long/late on my flight she can just check on me to make sure I'm okay and see when it looks like I'll be in. Of course I have to go take the test next weekend, but otherwise my unit is ready to install. The only reason I didn't install it already is that I know myself, I'd use it anyways without the license, so this way I can't break the rules!!

Another APRS Aircraft Tracking Site

Do it Erik!

Joe Dubner, a Long-EZ builder and longtime APRS guru, has put something like this together:
http://www.mail2600.com/cgi-bin/everyone.cgi

Maybe you could get together with Joe or use his work as a springboard to "the next thing"! Anyway, just wanted to make sure you were aware of this earlier body of work in this area. Good Luck!

Back