What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weather at Van's

Jim J

I just checked the weather from Van's web site and it said:
"This Afternoon: Sunny, with a high near 57. Northeast wind between 5 and 7 mph. "

Seems like a perfect day to get that -12 into the air.:)

Jim

Seems like a perfect day to get that -12 into the air.:)

Jim

Ironic that you brought this up. I exchanged emails with Tom Greene at Van's today. He says the RV-12 is coming along, and almost ready for its FAA inspection. He's comfortable that they'll be selling kits by Sun-N-Fun.

DJ

Last edited:
rv12

why not take some time(VANS) and update their web site on the progress? i'm leaning on buying a rans s-19 not because it's a better plane ( maybe equal) but because i'm tired of the lack of company response to it's potential customer base.

Maybe a bit on the "busy" side of things????

why not take some time(VANS) and update their web site on the progress? i'm leaning on buying a rans s-19 not because it's a better plane ( maybe equal) but because i'm tired of the lack of company response to it's potential customer base.
Maybe, just maybe they have everyone working hard to get to the point where they have something significant to say and will then post that.

Van's has always prioritized project work over website update. But when something IS put there, it is usually significant.

Some companies go so far as to say ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about "next generation products" until they are basically ready to SHIP.

Just a different corporate style.

Or was it just a rhetorical question?

YES Valentines day has come and gone and the last time we had any news Vans said they should be flying by then...I am also waiting in anticipation of news and pictures of the 'final' model.

Regards
Rudi

I predict it will fly on ..."Tuesday".

Just don't ask me WHICH Tuesday!

:)

It flew on March 11th...a Tuesday. :) Unfortunately, given the forecast for Aurora, it doesn't look like it will fly for another week at least. It looks like solid rain through next weekend at best. Maybe they can truck it to Mojave and get their testing completed there. ;)

N_D

Hopefully someone came into the office yesterday and put a few hours on her. It was great! Today, not so much...

--Bill

They are pretty resolute that they will be selling by SnF - which is only a couple weeks away. Seeing how obviously careful and complete they have been in their previous testing regimes, I can't help but wonder if she hasn't been up every flyable day they have had. We just have weak spy coverage in that area!!

I keep telling myself that I will wait until I can test fly - hopefully at GoldenWest @ Marysville. I mean really, who puts that much money into starting a project without at least a test drive?! :eek: LOL Plus I have a side yard wall to build and cement to pour so I can get the motorcycle trailer out of the garage. But reality is, I'll probably join the rest of the VAF who's wife's car sits outside, while they build a plane they've never even test flown prior! :eek: Yup... I'll fit right in! :D

DJ

They are pretty resolute that they will be selling by SnF - which is only a couple weeks away. Seeing how obviously careful and complete they have been in their previous testing regimes, I can't help but wonder if she hasn't been up every flyable day they have had. We just have weak spy coverage in that area!!

We need to have one of our best undercover agents sneak an APRS tracker into the -12.......not only will we be able to see how much testing is being done but we'll know how slow and how fast the little hummer can fly! :D

(What an intriguing publicity stunt this would be.......)

Last edited:
think ahead

It would be nice if we can order the empennage kit on the 8th., take our time building it and then order quick build wings or quick build fuselage a couple of weeks or months down the road. I wonder if Van has thought ahead and has already shipped some parts to the Philippines for assembly. That would be too good too be true.

How many of us thought ahead and bought a Rotax 912ULS a couple of years ago and stuck it in the closet?

Hindsight is 20/20 ...

I purchased my motor, propeller, instruments, avionics, a long time ago and have my seats already made for it, made templates from the prototype. Mine will be experimental/ AB regardless of what happens.

Back