What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot and Static Connections?

jsharkey

Well Known Member
I recieved some of the nylon T and Angle fittings with the kit to connect to the back of the instruments but because of their large size it's impossiblbe to screw one onto the instrument and still leave room to connect a second. In my case the instruments are the ASI and a D100.

Are there other smaller fittings that work better? Also these would help with the relatively small gap between my RV6 Panel and Sub-panel and the fact that I installed the RV7 canopy stiffener which takes up some real estate.

On a similar vein - do you use teflon paste sealant on these fittings. Do you need the extra sealing afforded by it or is it an instrument contamination distaster about to happen?

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Wiring

Try these

I recieved some of the nylon T and Angle fittings with the kit to connect to the back of the instruments but because of their large size it's impossiblbe to screw one onto the instrument and still leave room to connect a second. In my case the instruments are the ASI and a D100.

Are there other smaller fittings that work better? Also these would help with the relatively small gap between my RV6 Panel and Sub-panel and the fact that I installed the RV7 canopy stiffener which takes up some real estate.

On a similar vein - do you use teflon paste sealant on these fittings. Do you need the extra sealing afforded by it or is it an instrument contamination distaster about to happen?

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Wiring

Jim.... I bought a selection from these guys... they are quite efficient shipping, have low prices and no minimum...:)

http://www.stcvalve.com/Push_In_Fitting.htm

This picture shows one in my Dynon and the less room RV-6A sub-panel layout.... note it is not fully screwed in in this initial layout pic. It is priced at $1.61.

clearance.JPG

The fittings come with pre-applied teflon tape... should be good to use directly.

They also have a "mini" version, my pic is the standard version.

DIMENS-MME.gif

http://www.stcvalve.com/DIMENSION-EEM MEM.htm

gil A - Usual Disclaimer - just a satisfied customer

Last edited:
Jim I used the ones that came with the kit, just take the fitting nuts off until you get them installed. No lube/grease needed.

Larry

Nope - didn't work. The Nyloseal fitting were from 6 or so years ago. Has Vans perhaps changed the parts supplied with the static kit since then?

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Wiring

Spoke with Gus at Van's - said to check out Home Depot. Ended up using Watts PL-3004 straight male 1/4 NPT, PL-3008 elbow male 1/4 NPT and PL-3003 quick connect T poly Fittings. Used for water up to 230 psi. Low profile and fit nicely. We'll see how they work.

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Wiring etc

Liquids...

Spoke with Gus at Van's - said to check out Home Depot. Ended up using Watts PL-3004 straight male 1/4 NPT, PL-3008 elbow male 1/4 NPT and PL-3003 quick connect T poly Fittings. Used for water up to 230 psi. Low profile and fit nicely. We'll see how they work.

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Wiring etc

Jim... are they rated for vacuum? ... or do they need pressure to seal?

I couldn't find them on the Watts web site.... got this part instead....

http://www.watts.com/pro/_productsFull.asp?pid=573&ref=1

Is it really a Watts part?

I would go for a vacuum/pneumatic part for this application, not a plumbing part designed for liquids...

Check my previous picture... the part shown is only $1.61....:)

gil A

Jim... are they rated for vacuum? ... or do they need pressure to seal?

I couldn't find them on the Watts web site.... got this part instead....

http://www.watts.com/pro/_productsFull.asp?pid=573&ref=1

Is it really a Watts part?

I would go for a vacuum/pneumatic part for this application, not a plumbing part designed for liquids...

Check my previous picture... the part shown is only $1.61....:)

gil A

Will do Gil

The packet says Watts.

Jim

Back