What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

top skin alignment...is this correct?

ut oh

Sorry about not being able to put the pic on the page. I need more instruction from Doug.

You can see the holes in the skin, just peeking past the rear of the roll bar. It is this alignment that I am concerned about.

another try at posting the pic

skinatrollport9ev.jpg

skinatrollport9ev.jpg

top skin alignment

Take your time with this. I kind of rushed, and made mine a bit too tight.
No long term consequences, but it did mean a bit more work putting in the
instrument panel.

There are little flanges that attach this skin to the roll bar. If those will
line up decently with the pre-punched holes in the skin, then you are OK.
However, I would focus on the bulkheads, and the sides of the fuselage.
If those are good, then the attachments to the roll bar should be fine.

Last edited:
Mickey,

Thanks for your observation. I am taking quite a bit of time in the alignment, makings sure that there is equal overlap on both sides, both fore and aft. I trial fitted the little pieces that are riveted to the area in the pic.

I was concerned that the holes that the small pieces rivet to might have been just a bit forward. I remember seeing that problem on someones web site, but I cannot locate it now. Mine seem to fit ok, although it would be better if the skin was about 1/8 to 1/4 inch further aft.

Did you rivet the small pieces to the skin first, or to the roll bar? It seems that you cannot have access to buck the rivets in the skin once the pieces are attached to the roll bar. Therefore, I would think it necessary to rivet the pieces to the skin first ???

Did your top skin overhang at all over the firewall?

Thanks

Back