What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

handles on the windscreen frame/roll bar

rv8ch

Well Known Member
Patron
I've seen several RV8s with handles on the windscreen frame/roll bar, and I am curious if there is any concensus on this. I've already bought some, but after climbing into and out of Van's RV8 at OSH a couple of dozen times :) I didn't really see the need for any handles. Here's a picture of Mark's C-GURV with handles:

rv8bldr_canopy7.jpg

Anyone have any opinions or advice on this subject?

Wow. Weird to see my airplane in a post ;-)

Personally, I don't use them the way I thought I would. I only use them to steady myself as I step into and out of the cockpit, and for that they are great. I was afraid of somehow breaking the fibreglass strip around the windscreen if I didn't have the handles. I'm tall (6'4") and they do not come any where near my head in flight.

They are also handy for the passenger to steady themselves with as they step into and out of the back seat.

Just my $0.02

Cheers

handles and mirrors

Mickey,

Thanks for the post about the handles on the roll bar. I am considering doing that, and I am almost at the point of installing them. I would also like to put a mirror, or mirrors, on the roll bar.

I was wondering how I should arrange the handles and mirrors. My current thought is to put one handle in the middle of the roll bar at the top, and mirrors on each side just outboard of the handle. Another option would be to put one mirror in the middle at the top, and a handle on each side.

I would like the opinions of those who have used either mirrors or handles as to whether they are useful, and whether they would have done anything differently.

My first ride was with Mike (Kahuna)Stewart in his 6A. His grab handles were nice to hang on to. I made mine from solid 3/8 alum rod from Ace Hdw.(6' length about $12 -lots to screw up & still use). In an 8 or a 4, the handles might not be as useful as in the side by sides-My opinion.

Derrell
RV7A
Canopy

handles

19.95 from aircraft-extras,2 of them, can't beat it, and they work and look good..
try getting out without pushing on the armrest or not grabbing the windscreen frame ..

Danny..

handle in the middle of the roll bar

Danny,

Do you think it would work as well to have only one handle, in the middle of the rollbar, on an 8? That would allow for mirror placement on both sides.

single handle

I am building a side by side, so I can't say for sure, but I can't see why not, those handles are very hardy ,light weight, and once secured into the roll bar very very solid, you might make them shorter if its in the way.. I would try, 19.95 is not going to hurt that much :) and you can sell one if you go with the single.. I don't think the problem is going to be with the pilot or builder, its usually going to be someone else that don't know where to grab, it kinda makes it a no brainer with a handle sticking out..

Danny..

To weld or bolt?

Are you RV-6/7 slider guys welding the handles on or drilling and bolting them on? Thanks George

Both the $19.95 handles & my home made Hdw Store handles start with a #30 hole all the way thru the roll bar. The inside (cockpit) is enlarged to
3/8" for the handle to go into. The front is enlarged to accept a 10-31 screw.
The handle can be cut to extend as far from the roll bar as you want. The center is drilled & tapped to accept the 10-32 screw. The only force on the screws are 90 degree shear.

Derrell

Mirrors? where to purchase

Where do you -8 guys get the cool mirrors you put on the roll bar?
I'd like to install one on my -6 glareshield.
thanks,
Bob Martin

mirrors

Bob,

I bought two small "baby" mirrors from autozone. Women use them to be able to look into the back seat to see if their baby is puking.

I have seen full size rear view mirrors used as well. The method of mounting them is described under builder modifications, on the front page of this site, left side.

Or: http://www.vansairforce.net/BuilderMods.htm

Back