What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's mounts for custom engines?

13brv3

Well Known Member
Greetings,

I recall reading that you could contact the folks that make Van's engine mounts, and get a partial mount. In other words, just the basic mount, with gear legs, and firewall attachments, but no dynafocal or conical portion. Basically, it would be something to start with when mounting an alternate engine.

Has anyone done this recently, and do you happen to have the contact info for the mount folks?

Thanks,
Rusty

Hi Doug,

I sent an email to Van's, and asked about mounts. The RV-3 mount is $1050, so I won't be buying one of those and cutting it up. When I asked about partial mounts, they forwarded my message to one of the guys who makes them, and I'm waiting to hear from him. Hopefully, it will be a lot cheaper than a stock mount.

Cheers,
Rusty

When I was considering a rotary, I talked to Ed Klepeis. I think he's in Tennessee or Kentucky, and has made a bunch of rotary mounts. His email-

[email protected]

His prices were close to a grand, but it's ready to go.

Hi Chad,

I know about Ed, but I just need the partial mount, and I think I have that taken care of now.

Cheers,
Rusty

13B Single Rotor

Rusty:
Do you kow much about the single rotor that Atkins (American Rotary) is selling or if they have the same vibration issues you were experiencing in your testing? How far along are you on your new "3" project? I still hope for a first engine start of my 13B by the end of March but maybe April...TBD of course.

Take care and enjoy your latest project!

Doug

Rusty:
Do you kow much about the single rotor that Atkins (American Rotary) is selling or if they have the same vibration issues you were experiencing in your testing?

Hi Doug,

I won't personally buy anything from Atkins, so I don't really keep up with his products. I just looked at his page, and I don't see any mention of a PSRU for the single rotor "industrial engine". The vibration problems would be the same, but can be solved with a big enough flywheel, or a proper damper.

How far along are you on your new "3" project? I still hope for a first engine start of my 13B by the end of March but maybe April...TBD of course.

My typical motivation level hasn't quite kicked in for the -3 yet, so not too much progress. I should be working on it with a vengeance soon, and the airframe could easily be done by the Fall.

I'm still on Flyrotary, so I'll see your first start. Good luck with it.

Rusty

Back