What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

painting steps

prkaye

Well Known Member
The steel steps are black. But if you use a die-grinder you can remove the black coating revealing the metallic colour of the steel. I presume this black is a layer of oxidation?
My question is, should this black layer be completely removed from the steps prior to priming them? Or can I prime right over the black layer? The instructions say that these steps must be primed and painted or else they will rust away.

You need to get the black off

Phil,
My steps came with the dark coating on them also. It's sometimes called mill scale. It is an oxidation, and it's not attached very well in spots.

I sanded it off before I primed my steps.

Mark

Gentlemen the steps are 4130 I believe, in any event they will rust like h... if they are not completely clean before priming (ask me how I know):eek:

Once cleaned, prime them at once especially if you live in a humid climate like I do. If I had the chance to do it over I would bead blast them.

Mine were installed when I noticed rust coming through the primer, and I had to redo them in place ...not fun. Hope this helps

Larry

what about inside the steps?

If the steps are really this prone to corrosion, isn't there going to be a problem inside the steps themselves? One might be able to get sandpaper or a deburring tool some of the way down inside the tube portion of the step, but the part that you step on also seems to be hollow... there's absolutely no access inside there.

Another step-related question... how much clearance is there between the trailing edge of the flap and the step? One of my steps is 1/4" forward of the other one - I'm not going to have any clearance issues with the flap am I?

I suspect there will be some rusting inside the steps over time, but at this point there isn't too much you can do about it. I cleaned mine as well as I could and then blindly shot primer inside. At least the exterior paint will not be affected. Eventually the steps could be replaced but would be a bit of a pain.

As far as the step position relative to the flaps, I can't remember exactly and I far from my project for the next month so I can't really be of any help. Maybe someone has a picture they can upload.

Larry

Back