What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panels and clearances - aka Glass Panel

az_gila

Well Known Member
Following the previous thread about panel cutting, one poster mentioned having a plastic panel cut as a trail.

This sounded like a good idea, so I made one the hard way, using my own cutting tools, not a water jet.

As RV-6 guys know, there is a clearance problem with the tip-up canopy... So I made a panel overlay (DIY Affordable Panels style) from a $6 sheet of 0.080 clear acrylic sheet from Lowes.

A true glass panel!!

It's neat to see the parts behind the panel...

glass-panel.JPG

This shot shows the canopy frame when closed, and the potential interference near the top of the panel. The canopy is in it's final grey Imron color.

glass-panel-1.JPG

This shot shows the limited clearance between the instruments and the sub-panel (2 inches less on the -6 than the later models) The front canopy frame lowers into the top of this area...

clearance.JPG

clearance-1.JPG

An easy of checking clearances behind the panel - just look through it....:D

So, for 1.5 hours work (band saw, belt sander, fly cutter, drill press, and Dremel with a cutting disk) I found I was too conservative in the Dynon clearances, and that the A/S and Alt. can be moved left, the Dynon up and left, which also lets the large Dynon 37 pin connector/cable fit better through the sub-panel. The switches and breakers fit well, and will allow the overlay panel to be pulled forward. The Dynon will also be a bit better centered in front of the pilot.

Time well spent, and the panel also looks cool - a true glass panel...:)

I can now cut out the real panel with no worries on clearance at the forward end of the instruments.

cut-panel-2%20(Small).jpg

gil A

That's essentially how Aerotronics did my panel on the bench. They sent me one photo of the work in progress and I couldn't see the edges of the plastic; it looked like my instruments were just floating in air. I spent a few seconds trying to figure out how they did that before going to the next shot where the plastic was visible. D'oh! *facepalm*:rolleyes:

COOL!!

Hmmmmm, makes me want to re do my panel in polycarbonate and just leave it that way for the finished product.

Back