What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Yolo County Hangars

RVadmirer

Well Known Member
Hey guys, a buddy and I are putting together a proposal for building some hangars at Yolo in northern California. I was hoping those of you near the area could tell me what hangar rents are on your field, maybe any vacancy info and what you might call your wish list for amenities, i.e. amps demands, water needs, toilet facilites etc. and how they are at your field compared to your rents. Anything you can tell us would be very helpful in analyzing our approach to this. Also, any interest in our hangars would be good to know too. There is quite a waiting list at Davis and not a lot of T-Hangars at Yolo but maybe there isn't the interest I'd imagined?????
Thank you!

Well, I can tell you what I'm paying at Yolo :D Our rent is $300/month for one of the private hangars in the most northerly row (just south of Skydance).

As for amenities, if you build there I'd say the no. 1 issue is to do your best to make them not leak when it rains, unlike ours. Or at the very least, make sure the slabs have enough slope to carry the water to the outside. We get standing water in ours (all of us at the east end) that can take days or weeks to dry out completely.

At Yolo, with the nasty north winds that often blow, I would try to orient hangars north/south rather than east/west like ours. Having to secure everything in the hangar before opening a door on the north side on a north wind day (we are on the south, fortunately) is maddening.

More thoughts...

The doors on ours run on raised tracks. The builder put ramps over them to facilitate rolling planes in/out, but they are still a PITA. Sure would be nice if the tracks were recessed. It's really hard to get a larger plane in without it wobbling as it goes over the tracks, with the resulting risk of hangar rash.

More power = better. We have marginal lighting and two 2 double 110V outlets on a single 20 amp breaker. It works, but barely. 220 would be really nice, but a couple of 20 amp breakers feeding more outlets would be ok.

There is a combo-lock-protected restroom down by the county hangars. Sure would be nice if there was another one.

We have a couple of hose bibs near ours. Nice to have, though I don't know how good the water is (I don't drink it).

I'd be interested in a Yolo hangar I suppose, timing might be right. I'm building a -9A, right now I have an Alon Aircoupe under the shade hangars at Davis.

Back