What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Protecting us from ourselves

Jamie

Well Known Member
A friend of mine who is seriously considering building an RV-10 sent me this. He's been reading all of the RV accident reports as research. I'm not even going to comment on this incident. I'm going to let everyone else do it.

NTSB Identification: ATL07CA123.
The docket is stored in the Docket Management System (DMS). Please contact Records Management Division
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Monday, August 20, 2007 in Stockbridge, GA
Probable Cause Approval Date: 12/20/2007
Aircraft: Vans Aircraft Vans RV-6, registration: N345JE
Injuries: 2 Uninjured.

The pilot stated that he departed from Savannah International Airport, Savannah, Georgia, on a cross-country flight to his private strip in Stockbridge, Georgia. He said that during the landing roll at his private strip, he lost control of the airplane and collided with a tree. He further stated that when he examined his airplane, he noted that the leading edge of the right inboard wing was damaged. Also, he observed that the vertical stabilizer was bent slightly to the right. However, he did not feel that the airplane was substantially damaged so he decided not to report the accident. Furthermore, he said that he knew his brakes were not in the best condition, because if they were, he would have avoided the accident. The pilot felt that his airplane was still airworthy, so he flew the airplane over to Air Services Incorporated, Carrollton, Georgia to be repaired. While at the Air Services repair shop, an FAA inspector discovered that the airplane was substantially damaged. Inspection by the FAA inspector also revealed that the right wing forward spar was buckled, and the vertical stabilizer was bent approximately 45-degrees to the right.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:
The pilot's failure to maintain airplane control during the landing roll.

Be very careful...

....before flying. Let me preface this by giving a little of my personal background.

I ferried Agtrucks and Agwagons for five years in the early seventies for my boss...and flew ag as well. We repaired many wing dings because of carelessness or tired pilots...whatever. The one I really remember was a beautiful new Agwagon that the owner hit a large oak tree with, near the wingtip. The top of the tree flattened the leading edge for about 30 inches, up to the wingtip. I figured this might be a dicey flight/landing to my home base, so I held it on the ground until 85 MPH and gingerly lifted off. Upon arrival, I went to 2500 feet and slowed down carefully, expecting the airplane to snap and it did...WHAM! and I was vertical at 75 MPH, 20 MPH above a normal stall!
Knowing this, I approached at 90 MPH and flew it on at 80 or better and as it slowed, I wondered if it would snap again and ..wham...right wing dropped and dang near scraped the runway with me sliding the wheels braking.

Moral of the story is that if you ever hit a bird or anything else that smashes the leading edge/edges, be sure and go to altitude and try slowing it down...that flat leading edge is a big spoiler and if you snap on final...it might be sho 'nuff..FINAL.

Be safe,

I wonder if he built it or bought it flying. I just wonder about people sometimes!As Mr. Gump would say "Stupid is what stupid does!"

Maybe he thought it made his RV look like a V-tail bonanza!

I wonder if he built it or bought it flying. I just wonder about people sometimes!As Mr. Gump would say "Stupid is what stupid does!"

Maybe he thought it made his RV look like a V-tail bonanza!

This aircraft apparently has quite a history. Such as three crashes! It's been mentioned in this forum before, as the RV6 that hit a bird, landed in a field and flipped. I knew the pilot that owned it at the time, but he didn't build it. It was a very good looking and well appointed aircraft.

It was repaired after quite an expense, that neared $50,000. The pilot later died following a heart operation, and was sold to someone from Georgia. While being flown from Utah, all of the oil was sucked out of the inverted oil system, due to some kind of blockage, that ended up with a service bulletin regarding the inverted oil systems.

It again, was forced to make an off field landing, and I thought that might have been the end of it; which is the reason I looked up the N number a month ago.

I was quite surprised to see it flying again, and damaged again; let alone the report that's the title of this post.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Back